Chinchilla having multiple seizures

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm16

Hi guys,
I just joined this site as I am a bit panicked right now and can do nothing about it.
I have 2 beautiful chinchillas that are both 1 year old, and have been in perfect health up until a few weeks ago when my mosaic had, what I presumed to be, a seizure. What happened was she suddenly was falling side to side and couldn't control her movements, she then went on to tuck herself into a ball- this lasted no more than 20 seconds- and after she was completely fine, she ate straight away.
However, tonight she had another one and it was terrible. I held her in my arms for the first one (as she was running around my room), but then I put her back in her cage as she came around and a few minutes later she had another one and then another. I rang up the vets immediately (whilst making sure she wasn't having another and was as comfortable as possible) but it was 11pm and they said they can only look at her tomorrow- what should I do?
It's been an hour since and she is back to normal; eating her food, jumping in her cage, and has taken a nap, but I feel so helpless and am utterly worried that it might be something serious. They are honestly the best things in my life and I don't know what I would do if I were to lose one if them.
Have any of you gone through something similar or know of anything I can do to ensure it won't happen again? I've read everything relatable article online, but I just want the vet to tell me she'll be okay.
Thanks for reading, I truly appreciate it,
Rachel

What are you feeding them? How warm is the room? There are several causes for seizures. Poor diet, he's heat stroke, and low blood sugar are the main causes. It can also be genetic or by an injury. A vet visit and lab work is a good place to start

What color are her front teeth? The tail to nose posture is a symptom of low calcium seizures. You need to take a video of the seizure and present it to a vet. Seizures are caused by many things, and can be either treated or maintained, its not a death sentence.

You have to go to the vet to start medications. My chinchilla has been having seizures and is on medication. They have to see the chinchilla to do an exam and make sure they're in good health. They may be able to do a blood test to see if it has low blood sugar but that requires them putting them under to get the blood, which is your call. But they could always start you on a preventative medication for seizures to start, also my vet gave me critical care to give 3 times a day because we're leaning more towards the low blood sugar. He has seizures most often because he's out running around, I return him to his cage, and then he has a seizure while he's eating.

I've also read that giving them a small piece of dried fruit like papaya or a raisin, or even letting them eat from their food bowl before returning them to the cage helps if it is low blood sugar, and I have done that now and it has helped tons!

I just joined this today, to try to get any help from others on seizures and chinchillas and any other care info I may not already know.

Good luck!

If a chin is having seizures due to low blood sugar caused by out of cage play time then they shouldn't have out of cage play time at all.

Check the front teeth, see the vet. A video helps the vet see what is going on.

Taking a video of the seizure is my suggestion. That way the vet can see exactly what happened, not your recollection of it.

Not that we gave my chin "treats", but we certainly stopped giving him ANYTHING to eat besides pellets, hay, and wood chews (no supplement , fruits, or etc). This helped. He did have to go on meds, which has stopped them completely as long as he takes it twice a day. It took awhile for him to get used to the meds, but he did.

Back