Chinchilla Frosting Accident!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinderella

Yesterday was my birthday and I had an ice cream cake and was taking pictures with my little angel fuzzbutt MJ. Now, MJ is a sweet baby and normally will sit quietly on my shoulder for extended periods of time. I had just set my slice of cake down when

BOOM

MJ lept onto my plate and into the blue/green frosting. My sweet angel, being as sweet as he is, quickly backed up and looked up at me with big, sad eyes for guidance. Thick frosting covered the right side of his face (under his eye), his whisker, and on to his neck. Quickly, I alternated wiping patterns using a napkin and a wet paper towel to remove the majority of the frosting before it could dry/harden. I then used a cool, low power blow dryer to dry him before setting him in his cage.

Since then he has taken a dust bath and, although the fur seems to be slightly matted and clumpy, he seems fine and happy. At first he was pawing the area but now is behaving normally and didn't seem deterred by my gentle combing.

I am sure he didn't eat any (no frosting on his mouth or nose) but does anyone think this is a health problem and that I should see a vet? Or is there a special groomer in SoCal anyone knows of?

Thank you!

~*Chinderella*~

*A chinchilla is a dream your heart makes *​

I would just observe him. He was probably too surprised to even get much of a taste. Unscented baby wipes will help to clean him up better than just a wet paper towel. Unless he shows signs of needing to see a vet, which I really doubt he will, I would let him be.

I agree, just watch him. Unscented baby wipes will help wipe any remaining gunk from his fur. Other than that just keep giving him baths and gently combing.
His fur will be back to normal before you know it.

I could only imagine if he were white.

Blueberry jumped into a bowl of ice cream a long time ago, ice cream with chocolate syrup and whipped cream. I just cleaned her off with some unscented baby wipes and her dust took care of the rest. I also learned never to open her cage to say hello while holding a bowl of ice cream.

Back