Chinchilla cages on wood floors

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk_chinchilla

We are having wood floors installed in our house (used to have carpet). I was wondering if anyone else has chin cages on a wood floor and if so, what you put under their cage to keep their pee from getting on the wood floor finish.

The attached pic shows Fipsy in my home office (lower right corner) so you can see what kind of cages we have.

Attachments

• office.jpg
    office.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I'd get a inexpensive area rug to put beneath it!
Also, maybe a piece of melamine to protect the wall, as they'll stain or chew that, too!

Before becoming enlightened by this forum and the old CnQ forum, I had chins several years ago in a cage with a plastic bottom in our family room that had wood floors. They never chewed the plastic bottom nor did I have any stains or problems with the wood finish.

I used indoor outdoor carpet mats when I had all my chins inside, they are durable and can take a few washings before I toss them out. They had them at Walmart for fairly cheap.

I would agree with the indoor outdoor or the computer mats. Carpet wouldn't work for me because if they spilled a bottle or peed, then it would just soak through the carpet and into the floor anyway.

Since I have carpet right now I use one of the plastic things that goes under a carpet runner. I think it was $3 at Target. When I had wood floors at my old place I didn't use anything and never had any issues.

I use a scrap of linoleum that my parents had from when they built their house. You can get remnants for super cheap at flooring stores.

We actually just moved into a room with wood floors also and I put a fluffy blanket under it and I wash it when I wash the fleece

I have the FN but Kingston likes to stick his bum against the bars and have a nice wiz, luckily for me the metal guards catch it, behind his cage I have a solid piece of thin cardboard. You could get deeper pans if your worried about stains, but I have wood floors and have had no issues.

I don't have any problems with nothing under the cages. Occasionally they will find a way to get it out of the cage and go on the floor but it wipes up and there is no staining.

I have 3 FN's in my living room with wood floors and I don't have any issues with pee getting on my floors.

I used indoor outdoor carpet mats when I had all my chins inside, they are durable and can take a few washings before I toss them out. They had them at Walmart for fairly cheap.

We use the same thing for ours and they can easily be cleaned and vacuumed. They are very inexpensive and pretty durable.

My first cage was from petsmart and my chin made a mess. Pee on the floors and walls! I was shocked. I've since replaced that cage with one I bought from Quality Cages and have had no urine problems. However, my chin, meatball, does pee on the floor during playtime. I keep towels in various places and he seems to prefer peeing there, which makes me happy. I love having wood floors with chins though. It is so easy to clean up after them. I have a dustpan with a long handle and sweep the droppings into it without even having to bend over. It takes seconds.

A computer chair mat is a great idea! I think I am gonna put one under my critter nation cage for easy bedding spills!

Back