Chinchilla bit her toes off!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Republic_Trooper

Hello,
My chinchilla recently started to nibble on her toes. Then about 2 weeks ago I came home and she was bleeding. She had bit all her right toes off. I took her to the vet and they have me antibiotics and metacam for her foot. I still don't know what might have cause her to chew her toes. Now about 2 days ago she managed to take her bandages out of her foot and started to bite her toes and her padding again :-( I am very scared for my chinchilla as I thought she was getting better. Now her foot is swollen and looks a bit infected. I am still giving her her metacam and antibiotics but now she has gotten to the point where she is anti social:-( she won't come out of our bed (she stays in our room, but also has her cage) can somebody help? She has also been making little squeaking sounds everytime she hops around. Idk if she is having difficulty breathing or if she is in pain.

Sounds like she may have injured the foot or leg and now has nerve damage. You may want to talk with your vet about it and possibly consider an amputation. If the nerves are damaged, the foot probably fells strange or hurts so she bites at it. Chins with a missing limb do just fine so amputation may be your only option. Otherwise she will just keep chewing it and getting it infected.

I agree with the possible nerve damage. She'll continue chewing on them until you have the vet do an amputation. Chins still live good lives if they become a tripod, you just have to catch it early. There are a few people on the boards who have amputees and I'm sure they can give you more advice.

Back