chinchilla bed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got my chinchilla a hanging bed (made for ferrets) and she seemed to absolutely love sitting in it.

However, after about a week I came out into the room one day and it was hanging down because she had chewed through one of the things that holds it.

I see a ton of pictures of other people's cages and they all have beds like this! What can I do to fix her bed/buy a new bed that she wont chew through?

Thanks!

Have you looked at an all fleece one? I assume the one you had was the one with the black nylon straps that attached to the cage clips, and those are good for ferrets but not always for chinchillas - because they chew through them.

Yup, about 10 years ago when I got my first chin I was told by PetCo, <gasp>, that the Ferret hanging bed, plastic wheel and the giant hamster ball were great choices.

All items were returned and I later bought a fleece hanging bed and hammock from a member on this forum (actually is was CnQ at the time) and bought a ChinSpin wheel from someone as well.

If its not 100% fleece, I personally wouldn't use it.

I am going through the same problem actually. I bought a hanging bed from Annieo (chinchic) and Tribble chewed one of the straps. I have no idea why he did it. He never did that before. I am afraid to sew it myself, because she makes her fleece items with seams on the inside to prevent chins from getting access to threads. I just took it down and put up a hammock, which he doesn't even use :(

If you check on the "Chin supplies for sale" board, you can find members here who make fleece hammocks. AnnieO makes really good ones. She has a FB page called "chinchic". Look her up!

I love the little fleece beds and hammocks, but Rosey can't have them. I got her an all fleece hammock once, and she went nuts chewing it, so I had to take it out :(

Most chins don't chew fleece, but if they do fleeces doesn't shred and get stringy like other fabrics do (which is the main concern). That is why most people use fleece - even if their chin chews it, it shouldn't be a major concern. If your chin is just tearing through it and eating it, then I personally would probably remove it. :(

I've seen some tubes on there that are made of wood (sort of looked like a hexagon or octagon) and mounted to the side of the cage like a normal fleece covered tube. That might be an option for you if to give your little guy something more fun to sleep in or hang out in if he chews the fleece too badly.

Back