Chinchilla and wires!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X Amy x

Hello,

Please can someone help with advice, I accidentally left my chinchilla cage open tonight after cleaning them out and one had managed to escape and get behind my freezer and chew the cable through, bear in mind this is 240v. I am very concerned that he may have had an electrical shock or something but showing no signs?? He's eaten food, been drinking, and running around the cage like his normal self... What shall I do???

I could be wrong, but I think if he was zapped by 240v he would have some serious symptoms. keep an eye on his eating, drinking, and pooping. If it looks like he has any swelling or blistering, or stops his other normal functions get to a vet asap.

Not an expert but I think if he got tagged by a 220v he wouldn't be with you anymore. I've been hit with 110 and its not fun. The idea to check his teeth and gums is a great idea. Like the previous post said if you notice any change at all in behavior a vet visit should be some immediately. There are other posts here about chins who seemed fine after chewing a 110v and days later had died. Most of the damage done when getting zapped is internal so keep a close watch. Keep us posted please.

Thank you all very much. He is my baby and would hate anything to happen to him! Iv just been down to check on him and he was sat on his pirch happily letting me stroking him. I checked his teeth last night and they looked absolutely fine. Will give him a proper check over again later on this evening.
Still can't believe it, little bugger!!

Back