Chinchilla acting different

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leitnickgirl

So I got Po (my four month old chinchilla) his brother, Blip, from my breeder about a month ago because I thought Po would be lonely. However, they were separated too long and now do not get along AT ALL. Po started biting and became really scared, so I had to take Blip back the other day. Po has stopped biting and will play outside for longer now, but still is acting really standoffish towards me. Do you think Po will go back to his normal loving self? How much time do you think it'll take? (He was really affectionate before I brought Blip home for him.)

I feel so badly. :( I just want him to be happy and love me.

I wouldn't worry, he's probably still settling in with you at this point, and all the excitement of his brother suddenly showing up has just upset him a little.

Give it time and take it slow. Talk to him and offer him treats from your hand. Give him lots of scritches. I'm sure he'll respond more positively after a while.

And don't feel bad: you were just trying to do the best for him!

At 4 months old they are brats. They don't settle down until close to a year old. They are like 2 or 3 yr old children right now. Looking for trouble just cause they can find it. Keep working with him and he will calm down with time as he settles in and gets a bit older.

Ok. :) I got Po when he was about a month old and he was really loving until I got Blip. I'm glad it's just an age phase he is going through... This puts my mind at ease, haha.

Now about scritches... I don't know if he likes or hates them - sometimes he moves away and refuses and other times he sits there (sometimes I catch his teeth peeking out though). Is there a way I can get him to like scritches more?

Ha no, sorry. I meant to put in 8 weeks.... I don't know why I typed 4 ha. He was healthy and appropriate web we bought him :)

Back