Chin with runny poop-help?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbullgirl

My Chinchilla has runny poop. It just barely started. I just cleaned her cage today and it looked fine. I had let her out to play for a while and when i put her back into the cage she was still fine. Later when i went to check on her, there was runny poop in her cage. I think shes eating fine, i haven't seen her drink but the water had gone down some so i think shes drinking too. I read to take her pellets out for a night to see if it helps, but other then that i don't know what to do.

are they like liquid? or are they just squishy?

what kind of food are you feeding her? I used to feed my chins matzuri but for some reason it gave one of my chins squishy poo it stopped when i switched her to oxbow.
is she acting normal otherwise? if she is displaying odd behavior again i would recommend a vet trip
if the poo stinks or is slimey or looks like it has holes , or practicaly liquid the chin needs a vet visit for possible parasitic/bacteria infection.
you can try feeding her a bit of burnt toast. That may help her.

thats all i can really say im not really an expert on the subject. others on the forum are bound to be more helpful than me.

Im now switching her to Oxbow, but that was before i found out she had squishy poo. I just started yesterday. I found out the food i was giving her wasnt very good. it is stinky and slimy looking so i think im going to call the vet today. thanks for your help

Definitely get her into the vet if her poo is slimy. You may be dealing with Giardia, which means you have to have the stool tested and get her on antibiotic. Also, if it is Giardia, you will need to do some deep cleaning of her cage as well. Does she have a cagemate? If so, get those poos tested to be sure they aren't infected too.

I'm not sure that this would be food related. I agree with Peggy, it is probably a parasite of some sort or a bacterial overgrowth in the gut. A vet visit would be the best plan right now to see what is wrong.

Giardia seems to have just exploded as an epidemic in chins in the last few years. In the Phoenix area (Tempe and Mesa mainly), for example, chins regularly become infected with it from the tap water. I don't know what changed but the last three years or so I have heard about many cases of giardia there.

Definitely clean her cage, toss out any wooden anything and give her bottled water.

I was about to get her a cage mate. I was going to buy the one that had been with her when i bought her. But then i came home and seen her cage. so now thats on hold. Iv got an appointment set up for tomorrow. If shes been walking around on my carpet, how should i clean that? just with a carpet cleaner?

You could use something like Odoban on your carpets in a carpet cleaner. I've used it before to help freshen carpets, it also will kill bacteria and fungus. In the meantime just make sure to vacuum it very well, that should remove enough to make it hard for her to reinfect herself...if she does have a parasite, that is. :)

We have pet safe carpet soap i think. id assume because we do have dogs so. If not we could easily buy some. Thank you all for the advice! She is seeing her vet tomorrow and i will be getting advice from her about cleaning everything as well. And as of right now i just herd her drink her water :] it makes me feel so much better ha ha

Back