Chin vision

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenko

Chin vision--how good is it really? When Mips is out for his nightly 10-minute playtime, I've noticed that he becomes nervous and still from movements (even little ones like turning my head) that I may make from across the room, but seems more comfortable with my movements when I'm close to him; stuff like sitting up or even standing up don't faze him at all if I'm next to him.

My husband and I hypothesize that maybe chins are near-sighted (teensy chinchilla glasses accessory options?? :D) and since he's not able to make out things in the distance as clearly he becomes nervous.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this?

Also, I've been trying to read up on Chin night vision, but there's some pretty conflicting information on the internet about whether they have night vision--a breeder on another forum seems to think that they're basically running blind at night, but other websites tell me that they have good night vision... I'd hate for Mips to be bonking into stuff in the night because he can't see. Should I think of investing in a night light for him?

I've heard that beige chinchillas (With the red eyes) MAY have a lower range of vision than chins with black or blue eyes, but thats just speculation. I have a hetero beige chinchilla and she will be running and bonk into things all the time! I'll give you an update when I get my standard chins, and tell you the comparison haha!

As for night vision, I haven't noticed that my Daisy gets any worse in low light.. so that's my 2 cents!

Latest posts

Back