~chin that walks on a leash?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe they're talking about those harnesses they sell for ferrets and rabbits? That's all I can think of. I know many members have said they are unsafe due to the pressure they put on a chin's ribs which could break them. I just hope they don't mean they walk them outside!!

The harnesses are unsafe because it's the same as someone grabbing them around their ribs and squeezing every time the chinchilla jumps to get away which will break ribs. Their ribs are like toothpicks, breaking them takes little effort.

should I write her and ask her? I'm just thinking either way it can't be safe and as she is a breeder she may be telling everyone she sells to that it's ok :(

You can inform people all you want but chances are since she's a "breader" she won't listen. BYB don't care if they are harming chinchillas or endangering the offspring they sell, they just want your money.

I have a hard time believing someone who has raised chinchillas for 20 years doesn't know the real name for a "cream colored" chinchilla

I rescued a chin who came with a leash and harness thing. She also came with only 3 legs. Needless to say I cut up the harness and threw it away. Chinchillas definitely should not be on a leash.

"I have raised Chinchillas for 20 yrs."

Black chinchilla? Cream chinchilla? Leash??

Ya, not dying to buy a chin from this "breeder" any time soon......

I did write her asking what type of leash she was using and never heard back........... big surprise. Chins aren't dogs
ugh

Just saw this one....it even shows a pic of the skinny chinnie in the harness. :(

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/pet/2041542146.html

2 1/2-3 year old female chinchilla. She is handled a few times a week. Comes with her cage, bath house, water bottle, a harness with a leash, and any extra food/bedding/dust I have at the time. Unfortunately, we don't have the time to spend with her and don't want her to feel lonely.

Chinchillas on a leash remind me of when Stewart was young. It was the craze back then to have a harness/leash for your child! Your child for peat sake! They aren't a dog--which is honestly the only thing that probably benefits from a leash or harness! Chins and kids are not dogs.

THANK YOU!

ok, now then, should I try to inform the breeder of the health hazards of chins on leashes and if so how is the best way to go about it?

Just as Tab said, you can try. I don't think it matters how you come across with this individual as she will just do what she wants since she's the 20+ year expert. :rolleyes2:

You can inform people all you want but chances are since she's a "breader" she won't listen. BYB don't care if they are harming chinchillas or endangering the offspring they sell, they just want your money.

og! kishi would flip out in something like that! and i mean litterally, and she is the most mellow chin i've ever seen!

Back