Chin Spin Problems from QC

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6Dusters

I have two 15" chin spins. Both bought last year from Quality Cage. Darned if both of them will needed a new bearing. Called them and had to order one as they don't have them listed. And wouldn't you know after I fixed the first one the other wheel blew the bearing few days later. Anyone having the same problem with an 08 purchase??? For those reading this and your spin seems really loud , check it. Grab the wheel and pull it TOWARDS you. If its wiggles then its on its way. And its time for you to order one. They did send directions for replacing it. If I'm not mistaken I think they have switched bearings in the newer wheels??

I just got another for X-Mas it has been noisy, but I thought that was where I cleaned it. I'll check the bearing today. I did notice the wood back is different so the bearing may be also.

Alex, I noticed mine has been extra noisy lately so I checked it last night and it's getting a bit loose...not as bad as the one you showed me, but I'm going to go ahead and order a new bearing. Come to think of it, I could use a couple more wheels too....ooooh chinnie shopping, my FAVORITE :woohoo:

For those replacing bearings, please send me one of the old ones! I know of a bearing distributor that makes all sizes that are permanantly sealed on both sides, keeping chinnie dust and other particles out of it, leading to premature failure! Probably cheaper than what they're charging for a "open" bearing, too! P.M. me for a address.

We just got a brand new ChinSpin for our rescues this past October. Its already looking wobbly when they run on it. I thought I just had the misfortune to have very rough runners. (They zip on that thing like they're running for their lives!)

I have to say that if others are having the same issue, I'm very disappointed. $65 (w/shipping) is an awful high price for something that needs repairs so quickly.
~Barb~

The bearings on the chinspins we have are breaking like crazy too!

Thanks for the info guys. My chinspin is a year old. It's only recently started to make a little bit of noise. I checked it and it is loose. Guess I am off to order a new bearing.

I had a long talk with one of the girls at Q.C. this morning, and turned her on to the local bearing supplier around here, who she'll call to find one out there. Also told her about this site so she could see the complaints in print. She said they are very quality consious, as their name is, after all Quality Cage, and would do her best to resolve all issues with the bearings! They also weren't aware of a sealed bearing being available, and would have used them from the get-go had they known. They've replaced many a wheel under warrantee, and even a more expensive bearing would have been cheaper in the long run, considering shipping and product confidence! Very nice people!

Last edited:
Thanks Rickman. I do hope they change it. I've got to tear apart this one for another bearing. I think it was about $4.00 to purchase and ship a new one. I'm going to send you a pm and see if you can get me two sealed bearings. I'll send you my size and we can keep in contact about what I owe you. I know that the new one I just put in will crap out down the line. Thanks, Alex

Not sure Meg. I can only tell you that both of mine were purchased in 08. Having said that, I do know they are not a sealed bearing. My guess would be my dusting practice is killing them. The flying saucer I had was sealed and I did not have any problems with it.

I feel really bad now. The chin spin that I sold a few months ago had this problem. I thought it was just loose so I said that in the classified ad. I didn't know it needed a new bearing. :( Mine was also a 2008 model.

Mine was actually purchased in December of 2007. My husband knows where he can order new bearing for it so he is taking care of it - unless, of course, Quality cages sells them for less.

For one plus shipping was about $3.75 I think. They don't have them listed on the site. Just call them and they tell you the price plus shipping. I had it shipped from the west coast to the east coast. Hope that helps. Keep in mind they are NOT sealed. I'm going to send my other recent burned out bearing to Rickman and see if he can find me a sealed one and put an end to the madness.

Back