chin pulling at mouth and squeaking!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It almost looks like she may be choking on something, or has something caught in her throat. I'm not sure how you would go about checking something like that though.

Thats what I thought. I tried massaging her throat to see if it helps but it didnt seem to.

It looks like something is bothering her. Could be she has something stuck in between her teeth (piece of hay or a splinter) or caught in her throat. I would see if I could get her to drink something, if she settles down and is in no obvious distress just monitor her but if she continues I would seek the attention of a vet.

I checked her teeth and they looked ok. I tried to give her hay to see if something was stuck in her throat and she bit a piece and her body shuttered and she dropped in. Right now shes sitting in her tube quietly

She has something wrong in her mouth. Perhaps something is stuck in her gums or between her teeth. There is no way for you to see into the back of her mouth. If it doesn't clear itself by morning, I would be waiting at the vets door first thing.

Around 11 last night she stopped doing it and was back to eating her food and hay. Ive been monitoring her this morning and she seems to be ok.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your concern!

You will need to contact a vet down there in South Africa and have them look at the teeth. Find a vet that has seen chins if you can. Could be something stuck in the teeth. Could be spurs sticking out the side into the cheek or tongue area. It's important to get the chin into the vets office and be seen. If the animal is not eating properly on the teeth it can lead to more serious problems. Such as loss of weight, not eating due to pain, sores around the cheek area or tongue. Other teeth not being used properly. Possible infection.

Several years ago I had a chin who was pawing at the mouth. Took her to the vet and the vet looked inside the mouth. Couldn't see anything. So she suggested having Sunni come back to be anesthetized and have a closer look. The vet also allowed for a possible surgery to grind the teeth if needed. Indeed the vet did find a tooth spur. It was ground off and it never came back during her lifetime.

Best of luck. And return to this post with an update. Updates can be such a great learning tool to the rest of us reading.

Back