Chin laying down strangely...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HamNCheese

Hi all, I'm hoping someone here will be able to shed some light on Hero's recent behavior.

Normally during playtime, he runs around, climbs things, etc., and only really pauses to sit under the bed and dose here and there. Today though, he keeps finding little corners or places to prop his head up, flops down on his belly, and half-closes his eyes. The only other time I've seen him do this is once when he was sick (over a year ago, and we got him to a vet in time and it turned out OK, but it was TERRIFYING) and that time he'd run for a little ways and then just flop down limp. He's not going limp at all this time around, but he is just running for a little while and then laying down...everything else he's doing seems like normal behavior, this has just got me a bit jumpy.

There's nothing visibly wrong with him, and nothing that I can feel either, so I'm a little lost on this one. Does anyone else's chin do this? Have any of you witnessed this sort of thing? Is it a sign of anything wrong? Am I just being paranoid? If anyone has suggestions let me know!

_______

P.S. I've checked and double-checked to see if there was anything he could have possible gotten into/chewed on that could make him sick, but there's nothing at all I can find. The room he's in is pretty chin-proof. That's what makes me believe this is something different than just something he ingested...?

Another thing that I've noticed, and neglected to mention here, is that his urine has been changing colors all week. Two days ago it was a dark reddish-brown, and thick. Earlier today it was bright yellow and thick, and just a little bit ago it was completely clear and watery (like someone had just spilled a little water). This seems weird. Any thoughts????

That does not sound normal to me. I would get him to a vet it is so much better to be safe than sorry. Are his poops normal? I wish you the best.

He sounds overheated....what is the temp in the room? (One of my chins props her head up against the corner of the cage to cool off on the metal). It does sound like a trip to the vet is warranted...but any other information you have may be helpful.

PS...the urine changing colors should be fine... that can really vary depending on how much he drank and when.

Last edited:
Yes, his poos are normal...and he's still eating and drinking water normally. Just to be on the safe side, I'm looking into local vets to take him to if he keeps this up for much longer.

He shouldn't be overheated, as we keep the room at a pretty constant 72 or lower, and it is currently around 65. He wasn't doing much to exert himself, either. He's breathing normally too, no panting or anything, and his heart rate feels like his pretty standard speedy-little-rodent pace.

Thanks for the bit about the urine...I've seen it change before, just wasn't sure if it was an indicator of anything else. That makes me feel better, at least!

Hmm. Unless he played too long first, then I would check him over (look for hair rings, mucus, look in his ears, etc) and make a vet appt. If it turns out to be nothing, then that is great, but you will feel better getting him checked out. Do you have an emergency vet nearby that takes exotics?

That's what I'm looking into. Looks like the only emergency/late-hour type vet we've got is for cats, dogs, and livestock (figures, I'm living in Montana, after all). I've checked him over for anything that may be telltale but there's nothing I can find. He does hate hair ring checks though and makes sure I know it!

Good news is that Hero is back in his cage and running on his wheel happily, and has been eating his dinner normally. He hasn't actually acted weird since I started posting this, although I've been keeping a close eye on him anyway.

If he does anything strange again tonight, I'll get him in somewhere, I just don't know where yet. Otherwise I'll just chalk it up to random chin behavior for now. Thanks for the suggestions- and if you've got any more, let me know!

In the meantime tho, I would start looking for a vet in case of future problems. I live in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and it took me forever to find one that would take Chinchillas. I have to drive all the way to Birmingham to see my vet (an hour away). But its best to have one before anything happens.

Back