Chin health - excessive water consumption?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Toaster

Recently my my chinchilla (age ~6yrs, male, gray, very energetic) has been consuming his water much quicker than normal. He's been emptying his bottle in 3-4 days when the bottle used to last him about a week.

Is this a health issue I should be concerned about? Anyone know the reason he may be consuming more water?

The bottle is not leaking and there's no sign that the water is dripping or pooling beneath the bottle (it's over wood and the wood is not wet/showing water marks).
The bedding on the opposite end of the cage (where he commonly urinates) is showing more frequent use/wetness.
His environment & diet have not changed in the past 4 months (and then it was my new apartment, no change to his habitat).
The weather/room temperature hasn't changed for him (no exposure to excessive heat or cold).

Thanks for your help!

I don't know why he would be drinking more except that maybe the season change may be affecting him.
My question is this- why does he have the same bottle of water for a week?
Would you drink out of the same cup of water for a week straight? The bottle should be emptied and rinsed every day or two to prevent bacteria build up.

Chins are just like humans. If the air gets dry, they're eating things that make them thirsty or it gets warm they just drink more naturally.

It's nothing to worry about. More water is always good.

The weather/room temperature hasn't changed for him (no exposure to excessive heat or cold)
If it is excessively hot or cold outside and your furnace runs constantly it can drop the humidity below 20%. Alternatively, if it isn't running your house can get as high as 80% and that's when you walk in and really smell things like your laundry and dirty cages. Dry = no house smell. Humid = lots of smells. :))

Last edited:
Put your face up to his mouth and smell, does is have a fruity odor or any sweet odor? Excessive water consumption on a chin who never drank that much would be a concern for me. Diabetes is showing up more and more over the years since chins have become pets so IMO I would not fluff it off but start watching this chin closely. We have had two chins in the rescue in the last 6 months with diabetes from two different owners. The signs are, excessive thirst, fruity smell from the breath, weight loss, acting more tired than usual, especially during and after play. If these symptoms show up besides the water consumption I would take the chin to the vet and have the sugar checked.

If these symptoms show up besides the water consumption I would take the chin to the vet and have the sugar checked.
Thanks Tickle, this is really helpful! I'll look out for these signs.

I don't run heat or A/C this time of year (it's Portland, OR- very temperate) so the humidity around him hasn't changed (if anything wetter now that it's rainy season).

The water is changed very regularly- the bottle can last a week normally, but it's changed every couple of days. The consumption rate is obviously more these days, though, and when I left for a 3 day weekend recently the water was out by the time I returned- very odd as he's usually able to sustain for more days on a full bottle and food.

Chins should never be left alone for 3 days, let alone for 24 hours because "stuff" happens and chins can die. What would happen if you were detained from arrival home for another day and he had no water? Always have someone check on your chin at least once a day.

Back