Chin Daddy of 3

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valkyrian_knight

Hi I have 3 chinchillas. I originally wanted one but then I thought she could have a mate but the rescue people said I couldn't mate them, which I wasn't planning on. So I suggested neuter but they said it be too dangerous then I ended up getting a mom/daughter duo because they got pretty well with my first one......at the store. Unfortunately when I got home, they all got territorial and fight, so I now have them separated.

My first one is Mooshi. She's a standard grey sprayer.
The Mom/Daughter duo are Roo and Boo respectively. Both are standard grey but Roo is a bit darker. She also has some scratches on her ears and missing digits on her right paw. She also bites hard not piercing just hard. She's not a morning chin because she yells at me when I'm trying to change the water or set out some food before I go to work. Boo is more outgoing. Both still are getting time to get use to. I sometimes don't know if they will since they have each other. Mooshi has me but is a princess. She loves chin scratches but hates being picked up and will back into the corner to spray. She eats almost every treat I give her.

Being a first time owner with 3 chins. I have many questions. I'm sure they will get answered here.

Attachments

• DSC03301.jpg
    DSC03301.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC03298.jpg
    DSC03298.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC03819.jpg
    DSC03819.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 36
Hi there and welcome! You're right, this is the best place ever to get any questions answered. Your girls are all adorable!

Welcome to the forum. Very nice group you have there. I love standards.
It sounds like they have not been with you for long. I'll offer a bit of advice.

I speak softly when I enter my chin room of 17. That way you don't startle them. ( this also works with throughbred horeses as they are high strung) I only have a few that will allow me to scoop them up under the body. The rest have to be pulled out upside down by the base of the tail. The part of the tail nearest the body. Not the end tip of the tail. That is the correct way to handle difficult chins. I then put them in one arm near my body and continue to hold the base of the tail.

Touching little toes through the bars, talking to them softly through the bars of the cage, putting your hand in the cage and laying it down while letting the chins hop on your arm are some great ways to bond. Place your hand into a fist at the same time to avoid hard finger bites. They will nibble groom you as one of their own.

Keep chin safe snacks to a minimum to avoid gut problems. Good clean sources of timothy hay and the softer cut orchard grass are good ways to keep your animals teeth in good working order. Its a rare event my chins get a snack. They are always excited to munch on a hay variety.

Also don't forget they are exotic. Have an exotic vet on your list and know when they are working in the office. You won't believe how difficult it is to find a vet when you have a problem. :banghead:

Back