Chin babysitter....advice?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sovay

So I have a potentially interesting question/discussion topic. This summer I'm going to be working a temporary position in another state. Convienently, this is also my fiance's homestate. the place where I will be staying provides housing, but does not allow pets. Fortunately, my future-mother-in-law lives <2 hours away and has agreed to watch the chinnies for me! That way I can visit them weekly and they are in the care of someone I trust.

My question is, how can I make this easy on her? She's never had a small animal as a pet, let alone a chinchilla. We've warned her about the dust, poo-flinging etc. and she's still willing to help! :hilarious:

Have any of you ever let a non-chinny person watch yours for an extended period of time? How did it go? How did you make it easier on them and less intrusive? Advice?

I had my brother-n-law watch our chins the 1st week of March when we went to DC to visit our son. He does not own any pets. From the beginning of this year he would come to our house every Monday evenings after he was finish with work. I showed him where all the food was for all the animals. I only showed him how to feed the chins and give them bottle water. The dogs and cats was no biggy to do. The only thing he didn't do was clean cages. He did a great job well we were gone.

I think it's really simple having someone to take care of chins. If it just for few days.. But longer than that will have to explain how to clean the cage.. I remember taking my chins with me on a trip to CA because I didn't trust anyone.. And we had AC so they did just fine.

But later I had someone from this thread take care of them for me so I knew they be in good hands..

This year I don't have anyone who knows how to take care of chins. Soon I will have to leave and have someone to take care of my pets for me. Just for two days, So it simple and it nice that it doesn't be complicated for her. I also be putting my chins in my sons room and have AC running for them.

If it in a new house they go to or if they come to my own home. I will have to explain not to pet the chinchillas unless they come up to her and sniff her. If they feel comfortable or else it will stress my chins out..

I will never would offer anyone to take my chins out, even if I did trust her. If they were to be taken care of longer. I would be to worried that they would escape or chew on wires etc etc

Last edited:
I bagged up all the food in portions

everyday please open one @_@ grandpa got the hang of that

My parents watch my chins when I have to travel, so I made a chinchilla care booklet for them, in addition to portioning and labeling daily bags of wood, treats and verbally instructing them to free feed crushed rose hips. (They're compulsive treat-givers, so I had to give them something.) It's customized to my chins, but it'll give you some ideas of what you can include if you wanted to create your own. I'm never been gone for longer than a week, so I do allow them to go heavier on the treats than I normally would (1 per day as opposed to 2-3x per week). Hope it helps!

Attachments

• Manual de Chinchildren.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Thanks everyone! This is helpful.

Ah yes, the treats. I know that will be an issue! I'll have to make sure I give her something she can feed them everyday so she's not loading them up with raisins.

Just to be clear, chins shouldn't have fruits or veggies of any kind, including raisins. They can't process the sugar.

While going through my Master's degree I stayed on campus for two semesters, Spring through Summer last year. This meant my parents were watching my little malo guy for long periods of time. I taught them how to handle him, how to handfeed him (which at points he needed), all the vet information, what water to give, how to clean his cage, everything. As far as treats went I just told them "no treats". I would do the same for my girls if I had to go out of town for any reason. Two of my siblings also through my instruction know how to take care of chins. They get frustrated with me when I insist on no treats but they do what I ask. People think it's fun to give treats but I did not wish to risk it.

I think it is important that even if a person is just watching your chin overnight that they know how to handle it, just incase. What if there is an emergency and they do more harm than good trying to get your chin out of the cage? If at all possible I also think the person should pet, talk to, and generally get to know your chin before you leave them alone with them. Chinchillas will warm up to people if the person is patient with them. My girls so far are mostly snubbing all of my family because they are not patient enough to get to know them. They are unwilling to stand with their hand in the cage for the 10-30 minutes it takes my girls to get curious enough to meet them. In time my girls will more than likely get use to their smell and be more friendly.

Just be careful if you do find people willing to watch your chins and willing to learn... they might just fall in love. Then they might just have to fill their homes with chinnies!

Back