Chewing on metal wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrweiner

A while back, I think in January, I got my chinchillas a metal wheel (I believe that it's a chin spin, although I can't remember at the moment). I figured that it would be a good addition to the cage since I cannot take them out as often as I used to be able to. A few months back, after returning from a short vacation, I noticed chew marks along the edge of the wheel. I figured they were just investigating it as they do, and then I noticed a piece missing out of the wheel. Apparently they decided that it would be fun to chew a hole in the edge of the wheel.

Crap, I thought, they must not have had enough chews. Mind you, their entire cage is made of wood shelves, but whatever. So, I bought them a couple of perches and have been sure to give them sticks much more often. They didn't seem to be chewing on the wheel any more, so I figured the issue had passed. Well, fast-forward to this past week, and I noticed that the hole/missing part had gotten larger. I also just caught one of them starting to chew on it a few minutes ago. Now, I haven't seen any pieces in the cage, so anything that is coming off must be shavings. I haven't noticed any changes in their droppings or general behavior at any point, and have not seen any blood anywhere, so I'm not too concerned with their immediate well-being.

So, my question - is there anything that I can do to fill in the hole and/or put on the wheel to stop them from chewing it? My girlfriend said that when they used to have a problem with squirrels chewing on a part of their house, they put chili powder or something on the afflicted area and the squirrels didn't bother with it any more because it tasted so bad. Would something like this be safe for the chins?

I'd really like to avoid removing the wheel from the cage since I don't get to take them out too often any more, and because it wasn't exactly the cheapest item to add to the cage (as I'm sure you all well know). Any suggestions on patching up the hole or stopping them from chewing (hah, I feel silly even asking) on the wheel would be greatly appreciated.

Are they chewing on the metal part of the wheel or the wood? If theyy are chewing holes in the metal, I would take out the wheel. The exposed edges are sharp and could cut the chinchilla. They could also get a leg caught in the hole and end up breaking the leg.

If I were you, I would take it out, just like Cuddlebug said, the chin might get hurt from jumping around, running on it, chewing the sharp edge....etc . If your chin got sick from those, your vet bill for sure would cost alot more than the wheel itself. Just saying.

Smaller than a dime. I realized after posting last night that I could probably weld a small piece of metal onto it and then sand it down or something. My girlfriend is better at that kind of stuff than I am though, so I'll have to consult her, since I don't exactly have welding torch lying around.

I also emailed the website I got it from (turns out it's silver surfer wheel) to ask for suggestions. I'm sure this wouldn't be the first time they've encountered the problem.

Latest posts

Back