Chaffhaye?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcr

I spent a long time talking to the rep/distributor of Chaffhaye today about their products. Has anyone tried them? The thing that concerned me the most is that because the product is fermented it has to be used within 7-14 days before it starts to mold (can be stored in the refrigerator for 14 days though)

My understanding of the product is the grass/alfalfa is misted with two teaspoons of cane molasses then packaged fresh. The molasses breaks down the grass into beneficial bacteria for maximum absorption of nutrients.

Its pesticide free, certified weed free, blister beetle free, mold free and dust free. It's also supposed to help with milk production.

The moisture content of the product is 55% but because it is quickly assimilated throughout the entire digestive track it does not cause diarrhea (in livestock at least). He also said something about the alfalfa being 9% digestible protein.

I was hoping to get everyone thoughts. I also might ask the rep I talked to join in on the conversation too. Just to note, he was not pushing the products for chinchillas, we were only comparing the nutritional needs and issues of horses with those of a chinchilla.

At this point I'm just researching whether or not this is a safe alternative to dry hay.

Here is the Nutritional Analysis from the bag:
Alfalfa
Crude Protein 19%-23%
Crude Fat 4%-4.8%
Crude Fiber 23%-29%
Total Digestible Nutrients (TDN) 65%-68%
Relative Feed Value (RFV) 145-180
Calcium 1.2-1.6%
Phosphorus, .2%
Copper ppm 6-8
Zinc, ppm 18-22
Natural Plant Juices (as fed) 50%-55%

Grass
Crude Protein 11%-13%
Crude Fat 1.6%-2.1%
Crude Fiber 28%-30%
Total Digestible Nutrients (TDN) 57%-60%
Relative Feed Value (RFV) 70-80
Calcium .3-.5%
Phosphorus, .2%
Copper ppm 6-10
Zinc, ppm 25-29
Natural Plant Juices (as fed) 50%-55%

You mentioned that it is certified weed free. The only way to keep a hay field weed free you have to use herbicides, which are chemicals that are not good for animals or humans. Herbicides are used to kill weeds. I would not use it as my chins get there alfalfa in their pellets along with hay cubes once a week.

I would ask them how they keep the hay field weed free with out chemicals.

oops, looked at the brochure he gave me again.

It says certified weed seed free, not sure what the difference is.

Hmmmm, looks very similar to the dengie gold I've been using with my chins. It's basically chopped timothy, oat and alfalfa hay, but without the molasses. It does have added soybean oil, but only about 5%
http://www.lucernefarms.com/feeds_GOLD.shtml
Dengie is high temperature dried and dust free. It lasts quite a long time, so would be more storage friendly than the stuff you're considering.
What is the purpose for your research into this?

Last edited:
What is the purpose for your research into this?

I'm always looking for ways to do things better with my herd. Chaffhaye is supposed to be a supreme hay and since hay is the staple of a chinchilla's diet I thought I'd look into it.

I'm always looking for ways to do things better with my herd. Chaffhaye is supposed to be a supreme hay and since hay is the staple of a chinchilla's diet I thought I'd look into it.

I love your response. Person after my own heart. :D
Now I'll have to go look at your other threads to see what gems of information I can glean from you. ;) Muh haha!

I'm not a hay expert by any means...but I don't like the fact that molasses is used.

The other question I'd have is, if it starts breaking the hay down, does this pose a disadvantage to the wear they get on their teeth for dental health?

Most pellets have molasses added. I would try it in conjuction with a grass hay if the chins actually eat it since it only comes in 50lb bags and I don't have a horse to feed it to if they did not like it.

I'm not a hay expert by any means...but I don't like the fact that molasses is used
I told the rep the same thing. He said the amount of molasses is very minute and is only added to start the fermentation process. The sugars are broken down as the grass ferments.

They do have 24 oz bags and since the product has to be used within 7-14 days after opening that size would be the only feasible option for chin owners. The 24 oz bags are $3.49

I'm starting a test group with a some of my chins.

Last edited:
The horse people seem to really dig this hay, I would like to know how your chins like it and if you put it in your store I would purchase it from you if your chins like it. The closest dealer to me only has the 50lb bags.

Please be very careful with this product. It needs to be used very quickly after it is opened.

http://www.chaffhaye.com/index.php?page_name=knowledge_center&subPage=general_faq_horse

On their own website they talk about it needing to be used within three days in the summer and within three weeks in the winter. There is a risk for botulism when using haylage of any type. People have lost horses to it, so you can imagine what it would do to a chinchilla.

You would need to be able to use this product within 3 to 21 days of opening it. I'm not sure that it is worth the risk to the health of chinchillas, they are much more sensitive to botulism than horses would be. I'm not sure that it would add that much of a benefit to the chins to eat this, it would probably be better to stick with plain hay.

I wanted to add that if you are considering using this product or something like it, do a websearch on the risks of doing so. There are many horror stories about horses dying.

I know that they use haylage products with the cattle around here in the winter to aid in digestion to help out mamas with calves. It's something that I never considered using with the chins. I've always thought it would be better to feed regular hay to the chins...that was before I read about the risks of botulism and how much more quickly the hay will go bad.

Back