Ceramic lamp question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Philogirl

So my heating bill was kind of expensive this month... I keep the apartment at 74 degrees F for both hedgies' and my own comfort. However, I think I wouldn't mind wearing slippers and sweaters around the house to decrease my monthly bills. However, I don't have little hedgie slippers or sweaters...

So I bought a ceramic heat emitter for the hedgies. The guy at the pet store said that a 150 watt would heat a terrarium to over 100 degrees, so I got a 100 watt instead. But I can't get the temp over 75... the lamp is about 1 foot above the cages and the ambient temperature is 74 still.

I don't want to drop the heat until this thing is working. Is my bulb broken? Or did I not buy a strong enough wattage?

I would really like to get the temp around 78...

If you have a wire cage, try blocking the back of the cage off. What I use is that heavy clear plastic that you buy by the yard at Walmart and fabric stores. Clip it on using binder clips and you'll never even know it's there but it will hold the heat in. If necessary, do the same to a side.

I set the emitter right on top of the cage. If your hedgie climbs, it's not a good idea to do that but my cages that I use the emitters on are climb proofed.

What size is your cage?

Well, it's not actually a cage... he's in a Sterilite bin. It's about 30'' x 18" x 18". I might try putting a one of the cube units over one half of the bin and putting the heater on top of that.

I'm gonna call the pet store tomorrow and see if they can exchange the bulb for me anyway.

Be careful! I think some people have melted their sterilite bins using ceramic emitters. Also, (and I learned this the hard way!) make sure you're using the correct fixture for the ceramic emitter. Otherwise you're risking a fire AND ruining the expensive bulb.

I wouldn't use an emitter with a bin. There can be too much heat buildup and there is no safe place to attach the fixture to a bin. IMO, heat emitters are only safe when used with wire topped cages.

Grrrr.... this is why I wanted the bulb to be strong enough so I could clamp it to my dresser and just have it a foot above the bin and still provide some heat.

Back