Ceiling fans

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any thing if one does exist then I'm wouldn't see a snake unless it bit me. But any way I'm still a teenager and my parents call the shots for everything(as they should),but I live in western New York and its getting really hot out. My room stays fairly cool and I keep asking to have the window ac put in. Until then is it okay to use a ceiling fan? Especially at night? I'm like a chinnie I'm most comfortable if its below 70.

Ceiling fans are ok (as in it wont hurt) so long as they aren't blowing on the chin, but fan, ceiling or otherwise, do no good for a chin since they don't sweat. Unless having the fan on is pulling in cool air causing the temp in the room to fall it wont help, you'll just be pushing warm air around. An ac unit is a must for having chinchillas, just like a heat lamp is required for lizards. It's not that they are just more comfortable below 70, they can die if it's not especially if the humidity is high.

We do have an ac unit, but when I asked my dad to put it in he actually laughed and said" an ac in may?*hahaha*" he explained that his coworkers school chinchilla "is in 100 degree school heat and they'll be fine".

Apparently your parents don't understand what a chinchilla is (or perhaps the coworker has a chinchilla rabbit?), and if it's true that the other chinchilla is in 100 degree temps it wont be alive long. If your dad thinks that 100 is fine for chinchillas then I strongly suggest you find a new home for your chins unless you are able to explain and make him understand. Chinchillas can not sweat, they don't have sweat glands so for them it's like wearing thick winter coveralls all the time. Chinchillas are from the high mountains area, they have adapted to a cold climate, so below freezing temps they can actually handle, but high hot temps they don't have any way to deal with.

Thank you so much I finally got him to put the ac in. My one friend has no ac and yet he chin has made it 2 summers. My dads school chin is defiantly a chin and it's been there a long time.

Back