Can chin claws cause this?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akunaferret

Tasty Human
I have a small rash on my side and i've been trying to think what could cause it. My clothes that I haven't worn in a year? dryer sheet that didn't cause this problem yet? Then i remembered, Flynn tried to climb on to my back and failed. I just don't remember which part of my back he touched.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2691/12825023.png

I can't quite tell from the picture. But I do know that when I handle the kits, I sometimes get red claw marks/scratches from the kit crawling around my chest and neck

well, it's red and bumpy, and when it itches if i scratch the actual rash, it hurts hahah

Anytime I get scratched by one of my chins, the scratch swells up into a red welt that itches like heck for a couple of hours. It's never developed into a bumpy rash though, just the welt.

It looks like an allergic reaction to something, any new soaps or lotions your using? My body is against me and I always have issues with new and old soaps and lotions, I have to be picky on what I choose and even if I do find something that is okay for me to use, I eventually get an allergic reaction from it.

Just a possibility.

It looks like an allergic reaction to something, any new soaps or lotions your using? My body is against me and I always have issues with new and old soaps and lotions, I have to be picky on what I choose and even if I do find something that is okay for me to use, I eventually get an allergic reaction from it.

Just a possibility.

Sadly no. I've been using the same type and scent of shampoo, conditioner and soap for three or months. Only thing that has changed is work clothes/work. I haven't worn my work clothes in almost a year, so I was thinking that.

Anytime I get scratched by one of my chins, the scratch swells up into a red welt that itches like heck for a couple of hours. It's never developed into a bumpy rash though, just the welt.

My mom said maybe i was allergic to the chins, but i've had one chin for 6+ months and the latest one almost a month. So i doubt it it's them. I noticed this rash thursday night. Going to try and get some benadryl tomorrow; been washing it with soap, hydrogen peroxide and using lotion unscented when it itches too bad.

Have you had the chicken pocks? Because honestly it looks like shingles. My mom had shingles before and it looked just like that. Google it on the internet. I say if it doesn't go away then u should go to the doctor about it. Just my opinion!

Have you had the chicken pocks? Because honestly it looks like shingles. My mom had shingles before and it looked just like that. Google it on the internet. I say if it doesn't go away then u should go to the doctor about it. Just my opinion!

I have had my chicken box, and if it doesn't go away, i will go into the doctor. I thought shingles spread through out your body, like cover it, but this only stays in the one spot.

9:59pm:

Just googled shingles, and that picture is when i first noticed it. It doesn't look like any of the pictures of shingles that I see. It's not THAT bumpy.

Last edited:
My mom said maybe i was allergic to the chins, but i've had one chin for 6+ months and the latest one almost a month. So i doubt it it's them. I noticed this rash thursday night. Going to try and get some benadryl tomorrow; been washing it with soap, hydrogen peroxide and using lotion unscented when it itches too bad.

I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxde, hydrogen peroxide is good when your first use it to get any bad stuff out but if you keep using it, it will also eat away the good stuff that is helping heal it.

I used to get a rash JUST like that. I had a chin who was very unsanitary and fond of scratching me...I'm fairly sure it was the nails lightly breaking my skin and getting exposed to urine that was on her paws that caused this rash, because it was only after handling this one chin. Also liked spraying me, that one...

I used to get a rash JUST like that. I had a chin who was very unsanitary and fond of scratching me...I'm fairly sure it was the nails lightly breaking my skin and getting exposed to urine that was on her paws that caused this rash, because it was only after handling this one chin. Also liked spraying me, that one...

Flynn doesn't spray me, but it count be there was something on his claws :D

It may simply have been the scratch, but dust and/or other particles got to it and you got a mild allergic reaction on your skin?

Yeah i recognise that kind of rash (you've been scratchin too havent you :p) I get it mainly when i hold one particular pet rat. He's rubbish at keeping his claws in check and not the best at being clean- he loves his filth.

I think its basically they've scratched you lightly with urine soaked claws. I don't mean wet or anything, but the bacteria is there. My chins have set areas they pee in, wheras the rats will just trapse through it without a care in the world. Smelly boys, but lovely none the less.

I tend to use something called sudocrem to calm it down. Its a child's anticeptic/nappyrash/post sunburn/insect bite all in one kind of cream.

Soothes the need to scratch and the lumps disappear after about 12 hours or so.

If you are prone to allergies though a scratch plus the added irritation of fur can increase your reaction even if you aren't allergic to the animal in particular. I'm violently allergic to cats and dogs, but not my rodents, but if i have a scratch/a cold or anything then go in contact with them, my reaction is twice as bad

Yeah i recognise that kind of rash (you've been scratchin too havent you :p) I get it mainly when i hold one particular pet rat. He's rubbish at keeping his claws in check and not the best at being clean- he loves his filth.

I think its basically they've scratched you lightly with urine soaked claws. I don't mean wet or anything, but the bacteria is there. My chins have set areas they pee in, wheras the rats will just trapse through it without a care in the world. Smelly boys, but lovely none the less.

I tend to use something called sudocrem to calm it down. Its a child's anticeptic/nappyrash/post sunburn/insect bite all in one kind of cream.

Soothes the need to scratch and the lumps disappear after about 12 hours or so.

If you are prone to allergies though a scratch plus the added irritation of fur can increase your reaction even if you aren't allergic to the animal in particular. I'm violently allergic to cats and dogs, but not my rodents, but if i have a scratch/a cold or anything then go in contact with them, my reaction is twice as bad

Hahahah yes I have been scratching it. It's not as bumpy now, but the marks are still there and it itches every now and then. I'm not allergic to my chin's but they don't have one spot where they pee. I've been scratched before but it didn't do this before. I wonder if i can get sudocream here in the states, I'm pretty sure since i've heard of it before. Thank you very much darling :D

One thing I have found that keeps their nails trim is this somewhat large (pink) concrete bird perch I had mounted on their cage. It's about 3 inches in diameter. It's kinda rough and works when the chins hop on and perch there.

One thing I have found that keeps their nails trim is this somewhat large (pink) concrete bird perch I had mounted on their cage. It's about 3 inches in diameter. It's kinda rough and works when the chins hop on and perch there.

ooh! thank you! i shall totally look into that.

Back