Cage for 2: What do I need?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SookiFace1

Well I had no intention of getting another chinchilla till I moved back to the states but the local pet store brought in 2 chinchillas that nobody seems to be interested in buying. We have already put money down on the Beige female he has and are going to give the male a month in the pet store before we think about taking him in to. Im going to leave the cage Sookie exactly the way it is in case we end up adopting the little black male. I am going back home to Florida soon for 2 weeks and plan on buying the 2 story FN cage I have seen on this site just in case Sookie and Sensi (our new babykins) decide that they can share a living space.. Now that Ive given you my chinchillas life story, heres my question. I plan to do all my chin supply shopping in the states during my 2 week vacation. Since Im starting from scratch what should I buy for the new cage to not only make my chinnies happy fluffybutts but to enhance the chances of Sookie and Sensi not fighting over anything.

-Will they do fine sharing one water bottle?
- what are the essential chinnie furniture pieces?
- Are the fleeced tubes sold in stores or would it be better to buy the materials and make them?
- how many tubes should I have in the cage?
- Will one hammock be enough?
- How often do you change fleece liners aka how many yards should i buy to last me 7 months?
- How many plushy sleeping places should I put in there
- any helpful wonderous tips or stories on what things your chinnies are in love with

-Will they do fine sharing one water bottle?
- what are the essential chinnie furniture pieces?
- Are the fleeced tubes sold in stores or would it be better to buy the materials and make them?
- how many tubes should I have in the cage?
- Will one hammock be enough?
- How often do you change fleece liners aka how many yards should i buy to last me 7 months?
- How many plushy sleeping places should I put in there
- any helpful wonderous tips or stories on what things your chinnies are in love with

They can share a bottle yes. But even for bonded pairs it can lead to problems. They can start suddenly fighting over a bottle randomly. Getting a second bottle is a simple way to try and keep the peace. And if your ever forced to seperate them, having another bottle is good to have.

Any chin furniture imo, is best bought/made from someone that specialize in it. (not a pet store) Most things sold at a pet store are bad for chins. Even some of the stuff they advertise for chins, are actuly bad. So i would suggest getting them from someone that specialize in chins. (in sure theirs a few on this site)

One hammok could be enough. It also might not. They also might ignore them completly. Never realy no. Its like buying a kid a toy. They might like it, might not. If you get one tho, just have to make sure its of a type safe for chins. Petstores hammoks are not safe.

As for set sleeping spots, thats hard to give a specific for. Chins will do some strange things. Sometimes they will sleep in a hut. Some tiems right out in the open. Random places, random times. But at the same time they will have primary spots they stick to often. (least mine do) It depends what they liek best and feel comfortable in.

This is the hut i made for my chins. Large enough for multiples to stretch out in comfortably. It has also become their safe spot if they get scared at all. It also has a pillow fitted inside to lay on. However you can also see that shelf liner sagging a bit in that pic. Take a guess whats inside. lol.
Another angle of the liner in my other cage. It seems my chins love to get inside of it and use it to sleep in. An example of you cant always intisapate their actions. Further more, mine like that but dont like hammoks. Go figure.

So making a sleeping area is rly up to you and your chins personal taste.

I have two liners per cage that I switch out--one in use while one is being cleaned. They're not disposable! I bought mine from a seller found through this website. The classifieds section is helpful for buying chinchilla items from the members of this forum.

You should get a bunch of stuff from vendors on here shipped to Florida for you to take back. Much easier to ship and cheaper!! My boys LOVE their fleece tubes. I have two of those, just in case they fight over one. They never do though. I have two food bowls, 2 water bottles and one common hay area. I have 2 liners for my FN. I change it once a week because my boys are litter trained (baking dish in the corner with Aspen they pee in). I have one hammock, hidey house, donut and wooden bed from Christine. They do fine. I leave tons of toys and sticks in there to occupy them too. A picture of my cage is in the Ferret Nation thread.
For "furniture" they love to jump around so lots of wood ledges. You can make them yourself or buy from a vendor. And I like to give them a hidey house, so when they're grumpy they can go get some alone time. It's all about having fun, for you and them!

Back