C. Diff?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenjenn2005

Can chinchillas get C. Diff? My chinchilla recently had a lot of rectal drainage and had an anal abcess which has now resolved, but I spent a lot of time squeezing it and draining it, but I always washed my hands thourougly after. Last week, I was diagnosed with C. Diff and while I work at a hospital I was wondering if I could have possibly caught it from my chinchilla? At the hospital I always wear personal protective equipment and I am crazy about hand washing before and after patient care and anytime I pass a sink and practically all the time! And now I'm just wondering if I can give it to my chinchilla. I am still washing my hands with soap and water like crazy to keep it from spreading and I've been on antibiotic for awhile. So I just wanted to check and see if anyone had any experience with C. Diff and chins.

I don't know about it being transmittable to chins, but I do know it's nasty stuff. My father was hospitalized with c.diff for 13 days earlier this year. The only way to tell if you chin has/had c.diff would be to have fecal testing done specifically for c.diff. I would be extra careful about washing your hands and having on clean clothes before touching your chin so you don't pass anything on.

According to the CDC, (which I don't know if they have any credibility to you, but it's a thing to consider when you're trying to make an educated guess), no one really knows.

Chins can get it and its usually fatal, it causes the intestines to die. I had one that was tested for that along with other things when his digestive tract died, he was euthanized shortly after. He did not have it.

According to the CDC, (which I don't know if they have any credibility to you, but it's a thing to consider when you're trying to make an educated guess), no one really knows.

I meant no one knows if it's a zoonotic or reverse zoonotic disease. I didn't mean no one knows if chins can get it or not. Oops...just noticed that

Back