Breeders/ranchers posting on the forum

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I'm way off base here, and I'm not a breeder, but I think if you can't post something that you believe to be right or that you actually do for fear of being "bashed", maybe you need to rethink what you're doing?

We're all adults here and we all aren't always going to agree on things. That's the beauty of this forum. So what if people don't agree with you? Does that make you a terrible person? Does that make them a terrible person? No, you either ignore their criticism, or you realize they may have a point and move on.

I think that's not quite accurate. A lot of the things ranchers/breeders do are not either acceptable in the eyes of or should not be attempted by pet owners. For example, some pet owners will get completely ruffled at the thought of chinchillas not getting out for play time or not having a wheel to run on or not having a three-level cage to jump and play in. Those things just aren't safe for breeding chinchillas but people don't understand that. Or self-vetting, which can be dangerous unless you have the knowledge to do it properly and can sometimes be mistaken as a lack of care because you're handling the situation yourself instead of driving to a vet.

I know that other breeders will know what I'm talking about, although I'm having some difficulty putting it into words.

A lot of the things ranchers/breeders do are not either acceptable in the eyes of or should not be attempted by pet owners

And that is why some advice really should be kept private, good judgement should be used when putting info on the net because its read by all and can be used in a dangerous way. Self vetting is a example, it may be fine for one to self vet for some situations but to give advice to another person to self vet when they have no experience doing so is dangerous. But like I said before, there are breeders and I think they are "breaders" here who do things that are just plain dangerous and wrong, its not a matter of doing it your own way, its not acceptable period, put your own animals at risk, they are yours to do with what you want but to put the info out there for others to think is OK and you will be called out. I mean things like DIY amputations, clipping kits teeth with a wire cutter, treating a rectal prolapse at home, things like that.

Last edited:
It's great to share ideas and different ways of doing things. It's fine to disagree or debate. When someone is disrespectful in their posts to another member it's a reflection on them not the person they are being rude to.

good judgement should be used when putting info on the net because its read by all and can be used in a dangerous way. Self vetting is a example, it may be fine for one to self vet for some situations but to give advice to another person to self vet when they have no experience doing so is dangerous. But like I said before, there are breeders and I think they are "breaders" here who do things that are just plain dangerous and wrong, its not a matter of doing it your own way, its not acceptable period, put your own animals at risk, they are yours to do with what you want but to put the info out there for others to think is OK and you will be called out. I mean things like DIY amputations, clipping kits teeth with a wire cutter, treating a rectal prolapse at home, things like that.

I agree with both of you, and Dawn said what I was really trying to say.

As this is mostly a pet forum, a lot of pet owners have never been to a show or to a breeders home or to a chinchilla ranch. They only know playtimes, huge cages decked out with toys and wheels, taking your chinchilla to the vet if there is a problem vs. DIY vet care, breeding runs, collared females, no playtimes, etc.

Just because we do things differently as pet owners doesn't mean that we don't appreciate the knowledge that breeders/ranchers have. But, as breeders/ranchers, you need to understand that you have to use your better judgement in how you advise people to handle certain situations. Especially in an open forum.

My previous post was referring to breeders/ranchers "bashing" other breeders/ranchers - as I thought that was what the OP originally started this thread about.

I hope that makes better sense?

Back