Breakouts

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nancy, I've never even thought if it was food related. I rarely eat candy, and can't even remember the last time I did to see if this was food-related, but it's something I'll try to pay attention to next time.

Ash Nancys was chocolate/candy related. I had a friend whose acne was fast food/greasy food related. She would go to McDs and there it will be later.. He body was trying to process the grease and it was coming out in her skin. So maybe think of other thinks in your diet that can trigger your acne.

Benzoyl peroxide has been the best thing ever for me. I still have a pimple here and there, but not very often. :) I use the CVS brand 10%. My doctor said not to rule any as "not working" until about 2 months. It will get worse before it get's better.

Hey Ash, in the past few months I've been having more issues with breakouts. What works for me is using Jojoba oil (a drop mixed with hot water and massaged into my face for as long as I feel like....its $6 at Trader Joe's), which helps open up pores that are plugged by blackheads etc (my main problem is blackheads that manifest into something bigger eventually). Then I rinse my face with warm water and pat it dry, and either wash it with a medicated acne wash that my brother got from the dermatologist, or I use one of those pore strips that gets rids of blackheads and then wash my face (using the Jojoba oil really helps the strip get more out of your pores). I moisturize with Aveeno that has sunscreen in it (spf 15).

On blemishes/pimples/whatever I bought this tea tree oil face mask stuff from Sally's Beauty Supply (less than $5), that I put on and leave overnight.

In the past I have used Mary Kay's Timewise 3-in-1 face wash (they make it for different skin types too), and my skin looked awesome when I used it.

I would definitely recommend buying some jojoba oil though. It's really gentle, makes your skin soft too, and helps other face washes to get inside your pores to get rid of bacteria. I've had blackheads that were seemingly immortal and nothing could get rid of them, and the first time I used jojoba oil with the pore strips (I used pore strips before and they would never do anything), 75% were gone.

This is my daily routine, in this exact order & I don't have any problems:
1. Wash face with cleanser (find one that is oil free & contains Salicylic Acid) twice a day, when waking up & before bed. Use lukewarm water.
2. I make my own toner: soak cotton pads with 50% Isopropyl alcohol (you can find it anywhere by the first-aid section in drugstores or grocery stores & it's super cheap) & 50% water. I have a whole bunch of cotton pads already presoaked in a plastic tupperware with the Isopropyl solution & I store the tupperware in the fridge. That way the cotton pad feels nice & cold when applied onto my face.
3. Moisturize with oil-free moisturisers in the morning (before applying makeup) & at night before bed.

Some tips:
1. Don't touch your face with dirty hands.
2. Don't pop or squeeze pimples (you'll just be inviting bacteria into the open wounds).
3. Wash your face the instant you come home from going outside (get rid of all that dust/smoke) or right after you exercise.
4. Scrub/exfoliate 2-3 times a week (depending what skin type you have, obviously if you have dry skin you shouldn't exfoliate all that often).
5. Use a clay mask 1-2 times a week. I like using clay masks because it penetrates deep. Sometimes I use clay masks as a pimple spot treatment (not on the entire face, just the pimple spot) that I apply for a couple of hours or overnight.
6. I find that porepacks work because I have a t-zone problem. For porepacks to work really well, I scrub my face in warm water for at least 5 minutes to open up my pores. I leave the porepacks longer than what's recommended on the box, about 30 minutes. When you peel off the porepacks, I apply my Isopropyl toner to close all the pores.

I don't believe that there's a particular brand that can help clear your face. I use all sorts of brands that are available in the drugstores and finding out which one works for me requires trial & error.

As for toothpaste, that depends on the skin & on the person. I've tried it, didn't do much for me & just made my skin super dry.

I do hot yoga & it's helped me clear my skin. Alternatively, you can sit in the sauna for 15-20 minutes. At home, you can prepare a large bowl full of hot water, put your face over it & place a towel over your head so the steam won't escape. Do this for about 5-10 minutes, then scrub your face with cold water to get rid off all the gunks inside your pores.

Good luck.

ps: for birth control pill, did your OB/Gyn prescribe you with pills of the right level of estrogen?

For the Isopropyl alcohol, I've used a 70%-90% concentration. I don't think it matters much how concentrated it is.

O, at one point I was obsessed with having a clear face, I would wash my face using cleanser & count that I have made 30 circular motions around my face before washing it off.

I always try to keep my hair out of my face. Dirty hair (or even clean hair with products such as hairspray) that touches your face can cause breakouts, e.g. bangs can cause breakouts on your foreheads, long hair can cause breakouts on your cheeks. When in the shower, I wash my face last just because if you wash your face first, soap & shampoo will get onto your face & can leave residue.

Yes, I'm borderline ocd when it comes to my face.

Ippo, I only just started using the b/c, I've only been on it for about 2 weeks now, so I know that's not the cause of the breakouts as they were around way before that, but I am hoping that they help clear it up.

I don't use anything in my hair or on my face that's going to cause stuff. No hairspray, make up, anything. Ask anyone here, I'm the anti-girl. My typical hairstyle is usually up in a pony tail, so I know some of the things it's not. It's just a matter of figuring out the things it is or finding something that will work. For example, I know Salycilic Acid doesn't work for me. I have better luck with Benzoil Peroxide, but that dries my face out, even if I only use it once a day, and any moisturizer I use (I've used various types) make my skin more oily, and I've even used Cetaphil. I'm hoping that this St Ives stuff I got will help if I use it in conjunction with the Benzoil, alternating days so my face doesn't get too dried out.

I have better luck with Benzoil Peroxide, but that dries my face out, even if I only use it once a day, and any moisturizer I use (I've used various types) make my skin more oily, and I've even used Cetaphil.

I hate the Cetaphil facial moisturizer. Its gross feeling. I use the Cetaphil body Lotion and its just right. Its light enough to put on my face with out over greasing.

So...may sound weird but my grandma always told me to put tooth paste on my blemishes. It has worked 80% of the time!

can't offer anything more than has already been suggested for breakouts, but I had heard to use toothpaste for mosquito bites to stop the itching...

Ash,
I haven't worked in OB-Gyn for quite awhile but they used to make a BC pill that also helped with acne. Try checking into this with your doc to kill to birds with one stone.

So...may sound weird but my grandma always told me to put tooth paste on my blemishes. It has worked 80% of the time!

I remember hearing about this too, and trying it myself. Be very careful if you go this route though, some toothpastes will burn the crap out of your skin.

I like Neutrogena skin ID system - their face wash was salilyc acid based but comes with a benzoyl peroxide treatment and some pads that I didnt use cause the other two were enough. I am using clean and clear benzoyl daily face scrub and its great - i use a neutrogena basic moisturizer. My trigger is sleeping with my hands on/near my face - certain giant breakout to follow. I get cystic acne though (the big sore ones that never pop -eww), not sure what kind you have. Salylic acid helps unclog pores but bp kills bacteria. So a 1-2 punch is the best idea.

I use 101E ... I get it from a local herb place here, but my sister got some online, so I know you can find it there as well. It was the only thing that worked for me. I had regular acne and some cystic acne. I tried all kinds of OTC and prescription meds for my face and they didn't help at all. My mom went to this place, for acupuncture (sp), and they somehow got into an acne discussion and the lady told my mom to get me some to try it out. This was over 10 years ago and I still swear by it! My only complaint is that it doesn't help the Tzone black head issue! Oh, and it doesnt smell great either!

Do you have a LUSH store near you? I used to have pretty bad skin and I started using a few of their products... and now I see maybe one hormonal blemish a month on my chin. That's how I know it's nearly that time of the month.

I swear by Coalface, Ocean Salt Scrub and Tea Tree Water. It seems expensive at first, but it's so concentrated that I use very little. One bar of Coalface will last me nearly 6 months (with daily use) because I cut off a slice and take that into the shower with me... I don't take the entire bar in with me.

http://www.lush.com

Ash,

Try using a paste of baking soda and water. It helps to reduce the inflammation of pimples a lot. If you do it once a week in addition to other things it does help. BC really helped me out A LOT. I was the first one in middle school having break outs and dealt with really really bad ones until I went on BC. Just about any BC generally helps with acne.

since this thread is so long i didnt read it all I just wanted to suggest Aveda products. I have tryed everything under the sun including perscription and this is the only thing that worked. I have really sensitive skin and this stuff is all natural.

And I forgot to mention that anytime I have really bad breakouts I try to get some sun on my face or very rarely (cause its so bad for you) go to the tanning bed. It seems to help with back breakouts from working out. I think maybe the UV light kills bacteria...

And I forgot to mention that anytime I have really bad breakouts I try to get some sun on my face or very rarely (cause its so bad for you) go to the tanning bed. It seems to help with back breakouts from working out. I think maybe the UV light kills bacteria...

I've heard from someone else that tanning beds work, but I'm not all for it. I guess it's similar to getting a zap (like those things you get done when having a facial). I used to use ThermaClear, until I dropped it & broke it :( That really worked for me.

Back