bored chinnie/want to spice it up!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillygizmo

My kids have 4 feety's
Hey everyone,
I am looking for advice for some really fun toys for inside the cage. My new girl freckles has tons of ledges and a tub as well as her hidey house. As extra she has willow chews and a hanging toy with woods and willow on it. She doesnt seem like she has any fun : /. She just kinda sits in her corner all day. Is there something anyone can think of that I can get to stimulate her more?

Thanks!

P.S. I have been thinking of making toys on my own but I dont know where to get those little metal poles that you put a hook and bell on or antyhing. Suggestions needed :)

You could do new toys or re-make some of your old ones. Chin spin or flying saucer could be an idea. Then there's all the fleece-y stuff--hammocks, tubes, houses, beds, etc. More ledges maybe?

Do you do playtime? If not, that would be an option. Set up a chin-safe area in a bathroom or small room and let her out for a bit, maybe put some boxes down to let her play with... the options there are endless.

ETA: If she's REALLY new, she's probably just shy or scared because she needs time to settle in...

If you want to make your own treats you can buy the metal poles at petco, I think is where I saw them, (just the pole no treats on it) or you could get a wire coat hanger and cut it to the length that you need and use that as the metal pole it works just as good.

Getting them out of the cage to play with you (where they can jump all over you),
then putting them back--they'll be more content and happy. Sounds good-what all
you got in the cage; as far as chew toys and ledges to jump from. Also, as someone
already said, get a wheel-if you don't already have one. Be patient, my one chin took
6 months before he would get on it and run.

I have to agree with the others, they have all given great suggestion. I hope before to long you'll be posting that Freckles is having the time of her life......:)

Well you said she sits in her corner all day, they are nocturnal so thats probably why, she probably is active when you sleep

Trixie likes the wood sticks I buy her, as well as toilet paper rolls...usually with a bit of paper left on she can chew off. She has a thing for my scocks (not sure why) so I took a mismatched white cotton sock, balled it up and put it in with her. She loves to snuggle with it.
I also will give her a pine cone as a special treat, when I can find one off a safe, untreated tree.

Sometimes, when Trixie is just sitting, seeming a bit bored, I will pull up a chair and sit with her and chat. Give her some scratches under the chin as well.
I give her an noccasional pine cone (from a safe tree..no pesticides) or empty toilet paper roll. I bring her out every other night into a chin safe room for a good run. I have many places there for her to run and jump and hide. Lots of places to explore. I will often get right down on the floor with her to play.

Back