Bonding with a new chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethanyShondark

Hi -

I just got my 10-month old chinchilla about two weeks ago. He came from a house where his previous owners could pick him up easily but he won't let my husband or I do so. He runs from us and wriggles out of our arms when we've tried to pick him up.

Any suggestions on getting him used to us? I know that chins aren't exactly snugglers, but he doesn't seem at all interested in us.

Thanks!

Bethany

From what I've read just letting a chin get to know you and letting them come to you is best. I've had my guys for a week and half now and one just comes right to both me and my boyfriend and the other (who is a couple weeks younger) runs away. Just putting your arm in the cage and letting the fuzzy one come to you gets them use to you. Also talking to your chin gets them use to your voice. Picking up may not be an option for awhile, but if you can get your chin to come to you, it may help the acclimation period go by a little faster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Oh, forgot to mention, when you take him out for playtime (in a pen or chinsafe area, let him come and check you out, climb on you and jump off you, etc. Just another way of letting them come to you :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

you can also entice them to you hand by putting some old fashion oats in your hand and letting them eat them out of your hand.

It can take a little while but they will come to you eventually. We've had Vincenza for 6 months and I can barely keep her in the cage when I open the door now. :)

Give the little one time to get used to you. spend as much time as possible near her cage and talking to him. The advice about putting your hand in the cage is good as is the advice about offering a treat out of your hand. I would wait 'till he is more used to you before giving playtime. Having to chase him around to catch him at the end of playtime could cause it to take longer for the chinchilla to get over its fear of you.

When I first got my chin, I would sit by her cage and talk to her. I could tell she looked forward to me sitting by her and talking to her, she would always go to the bars of the cage to see me! Then I slowly got her used to my hands by letting her smell them, very soon after that she was begging for scratches behind the ear!

She bonded with me rather quickly, espeically when I started letting her out of the cage for play time. She would jump on my lap or sit in it, even jump up on my shoulder when I was sitting down. She bonded with me on her own time, yours till too! Just give him some time and keep doing what your doing!

Back