Bonding Pouch

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

I know that for sugar gliders and other sorts of cling-y little critters, you can put the babies in a little pouch that hangs around your neck/shoulder so that they get used to your scent and bond. I was wondering if that would work for young chinchillas provided that temperatures are low enough so that they don't overheat and they are carefully watched to make sure they don't do a hail mary jump out of it. Does anyone have any experience using these? I've heard of some people sticking chinchillas under their shirts to get the same effect.

after watching all of my babies over the years, ive learned i can never watch closley enough to prevent all sudden leaps out like that. And i doubt mine would stay in something like that. They always want out.

I used to make and sell bonding pouches for chins. I never had a problem using them with babies and adults that weren't high strung. They actually seemed to enjoy them, not too much difference than sitting in a tube, but the fleece was a bit closer to their body of course. I made them pretty deep compared to glider pouches, so I never had one try to jump out. They also don't have a closing on the top like glider pouches, the top is open. The main thing is knowing your limits on your temperature in your house and not keeping them in the pouch but so long. My house stays about 60 degrees because I'm so accustomed to being in the barn at that temperature than anything higher is just too much for me. I wouldn't push it over 70 degrees for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I'm not a fan. As Tiffany mentioned, over heating can be an issue if you aren't careful. Aside from that, a chin chooses to go into it's tube, it isn't stuffed in at the whim of the owner. Whether you use a pouch, a shirt, or just patience, your chin isn't going to bond any differently. I vote for patience.

I've never seen or heard of a bonding pouch. When I purchased my chin Monday, the man who sold her to me told me that when handling I should hold her close so that she feels secure. I would be too afraid of my chin jumping out of the pouch.

Back