Bonded female pair fighting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maha's Chins

:hmm:

Hi, I am a new user here , as well as a new chinchilla owner. I have 2 females Puff that is now almost one year old female that I got in October and Ms. Freckles that I bought about 6-7 weeks ago. A little background, I got the second chin because I stumbled across her in a local pet shop and she was in a really bad cage with no toy's looking very pathetic so I thought I would take her home , from the get go both my females bonded and everything was going great, no fights or anything, I upgraded their cage to a chinchilla mansion and got rid of the older cage a couple of weeks ago, everything seemed to be going fine, Than I woke up on the morning of 20th Feb and found that my new chin, Mrs. Freckles have given birth to 2 kits!!! Imagine my surprise I was totally taken a back by it as I was told she was only 7 months old and in "perfect health", anyways everything seemed okay, and she takes really good care of the kit's and I keep the cage clean and warm and weigh the babies everyday who seem to be gaining weight steadily. Also, the chin's seemed to be getting along as usual, and Mrs. Puff kept her distance from her and the new kits. However, that changed this morning, I woke up from a ruckus this morning and went to investigate and found Mrs. Freckles ( the new mom) chasing Puff all over the cage in a fur frenzy and trying to bite her and pull her fur, poor puff was trying to get away and screaming, I immediately pulled her out of the cage, and gave them a cooling off break. Than after couple of hour's I put her back in, and Mrs. Freckles went after her again.

I am really concerned and surprised by this as they got along wonderfully before, and even after the kits arrival, right now I have separated them again, but I don't know whats going on, when I bought the new cage ( quality cage chinchilla mansion" I got rid of my older cage, and currently Mrs. Puff is residing in a play pen.

Please give me your input, or any idea's and thoughts as to what happened , and how can we go about things from here own, I'll really appreciate the help.
Thanks, Maha:wacko:

Attachments

• SAM_2230.jpg
    SAM_2230.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 23
  • SAM_2226.jpg
    SAM_2226.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 23
  • SAM_2203.jpg
    SAM_2203.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 22
The fighting can be due to the kits or they may just never get along again. Chins have very distinct likes. Anytime you have more than 1 chin in a cage you run the risk they will fight. Some females can be very protective of kits, especially 1st time mothers. Seporate them and wait until kits are weaned.

You'll need to get another cage to keep them separate until the kits are weaned (you also need to sex the kits, if you're unsure, you can post pictures here and forum members can help you out). Once the kits are weaned you need to decide if you are keeping them or selling them. If they are female and you are keeping them, you may never be able to house your original two together again. The dynamic has changed. If they are male, you need to keep the weaned male kit(s) separate from the females so they don't get any females you have pregnant.
If you are not keeping the kits, once they are gone you can try a slow re-introduction with your original two and see how it goes.

Hope things work out!

You'll need to get another cage to keep them separate until the kits are weaned (you also need to sex the kits, if you're unsure, you can post pictures here and forum members can help you out). Once the kits are weaned you need to decide if you are keeping them or selling them. If they are female and you are keeping them, you may never be able to house your original two together again. The dynamic has changed. If they are male, you need to keep the weaned male kit(s) separate from the females so they don't get any females you have pregnant.
If you are not keeping the kits, once they are gone you can try a slow re-introduction with your original two and see how it goes.

Hope things work out!

Thanks, we are currently making a make shift living area for puff in the play pen got some essentials for her, house and feeding trays, hay manger, bottle etc. I sure don't want to give any of my chin's away. I have looked at the pictures and both the kits are females according to our research but I'll sex them again in a week to make sure when they are a little more developed. This is really sad and unexpected. Puff is my first chin and I'd rather not giver her away, and at the same time I don't want the others to go too, but if I have to then I'll find new homes for Kits and re introduce the older chins again.

i dont how the spacing is on the cage wires so ill mention that you need to be carefull with that and the kits. I no first hand that they can slip out of 1 inch spacing bars easily as can be.

i dont how the spacing is on the cage wires so ill mention that you need to be carefull with that and the kits. I no first hand that they can slip out of 1 inch spacing bars easily as can be.

Oh the spacing is real tight they can't get out of it, that's the first thing we checked when the kit's were born. It's the spacing in the play pen I am concerned about as Mrs. Puff can easily squeeze out of there,lol so we are boarding it up from all four side tonight. As I don't want her free roaming in the home while I'm not in the room, or away.

Back