Blood on tail

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megatron_mcd

A few days ago my parents told me that they noticed 2 small drips of blood on the floor in front of Marzipan's cage, and when I cleaned her cage 3 days ago I noticed also a small blood stain on one of her wood ledges, but didn't see any injuries on her. Now today, there are dried blood spots on the wall behind her cage and she seems to have blood dried on her tail towards the tip, and she also seems very bothered by it, all day she had been suddenly "chasing" her tail and spinning in circles and making angry sounds. She also makes angry sounds when we try and go near her. Should I be worried about it or has she possibly just cut herself and I just wait for it to heal?

Here are the only pictures I was able to get of them, it's very hard to see but you can tell there is blood near the tip of her tail.

Attachments

• IMG_6748.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 21
  • IMG_6746.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 21
Pics don't really work on the forum, so I can't see it, it's better to post on a photo site then link it.
However, it does sound like she hurt her tail, if that is where the blood is coming from. Chins are known to chew on their tail if it hurts, to the point of self mutilation, you might want to get it checked out by a vet. If you can try to clean up the wound to get a better look at it, it may have gotten infected and if she is acting bothered by it, it probably hurts. It could just be she cut her self on something, but if she doesn't leave it alone it can become worse. The vet would be able to give antibiotics if needed, as well pain killers, and will be able to clean up the tail if you can't, if it's not infected yet you want to keep it that way.

i agree. it doesn't sound like an emergency type situation since it's not oozing blood everywhere... BUT, left untreated, it could get worse. i would book an appointment to get her checked out by the vet as soon as you can. they can clean it, and assess whether antibiotics are needed.

Check the bottom of her feet as well. Feet cracking and dripping blood is not uncommon some times. They can get dry and do that. If thats the case she could have jsut walked by and her tail dipped in to it. Worth a good look.

Back