Blind Chin baby ???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3chins

There is an ad for chinchillas and one of the 2 month old babies is blind. The ad says.

" The mosaic (white) baby is blind, but very smart and curious. She doesn't need any special attention."

Is that true? Can it be in a cage with shelves and ledges and be OK? Wouldn't she need a single level cage?

Blind chinchillas will use their whiskers to test out where things are in the cage. As long as nothing is changed drastically, they are fine in multiple level cages. It's also a good idea to place hammocks throughout the cage to catch the chin if it falls.

I always kept my blind boy in a one level cage, but put all kinds of stuff in it for him. He got intimidated too much in a multi-level cage. He would sit in a corner and cry, even when his roomie was in there with him. This guy came from a large ranch though, where he was accustomed to a 12 x 24 cage. I personally would keep him in a one level cage to avoid possible accidents, but I get a bit paranoid about the blind ones.

I had a blind one with no tail, he had multi levels but had ramps. You could not move anything or little dude got stressed out. Other than that he did fine.

Back