Bleeding foot

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shubbles

Did someone say woood?
Today i noticed a little bit of dried blood on one of my boy's shelves. His foot is bloody, but it doesn't effect him. He continues to run around and stuff. I'm wondering what i should do. I think its dry skin or a cut, should i wash it out? Thanks.

Can you take a picture of it? He may have bumblefoot, which requires more treatment than just washing it out. I dealt with bumblefoot not too long ago and it was a pretty big ordeal. The infection from the bumblefoot actually travelled up the leg of my chin. It involved oral antibiotics, daily washes, blu-koting, and cleaning the cage 2x a day.

Otherwise it may just be a cut and blu-kote and clean environment may be all he needs.

Bumblefoot however is hard to spot if you don't know what you're looking for, so I would post a picture to be on the safe side.

Unfortunately my camera is too blurry to get a good look at the foot so by any chance do you have a picture of the beginning signs of bumblefoot? It doesn't look that bad, however i don't know what i'm looking for. The bottom pads are pink and looking normal and the spot where the cut or dried crack that the blood came out of is now, from what i can tell, a small black scab. I did have him on a wire bottom for a while, but a year or two ago i switch to fleece, so i think he has pretty rough feet. It's not effecting him at all though. No limp, no whimpering, nothing. Also, do you think i should take him to the vet just in case? If i can, i will try to get a picture somehow, but the camera i have doesn't take very good pictures at all:impatient:

Thankyou. My chins pads arent like that at all. Like i said the pads are pink and fine, no mooshing or pushing, and he just has that little scab the. Size of a wood sliver you'd get in your finger while wood working. I'm totally changing the subject but I didn't think this deserved another post from me. If I were to take him into the vet 1. How do I get him there 2. He's pretty crazy and doesn't like to be held, so how will the vet be able to hold him and examine him 3. How much does it usually cost to do an over all physical/dental etc. examination 4. Does anyone do a regular checkup every few months or every year??

You can take him to the vet in a cat carrier the non-cloth type. The vet will be able to examine him whether or not your chin likes it. He may use an assistant or ask you for help if needed. Your chin will get over it once he is back home.
The cost varies in different parts of the country.
Regular checkups are not needed. However if you have never met the vet it is a good idea to bring your chin in to meet him/her. The vet sees your chin when he is not ill and you get the opportunity to decide if you think he/she is a good chinchilla vet. You will then know where to go if your chin does become ill.

I was only wondering because i got bored one day and read through the hedgehog FAQs and it said, i believe, you should take your hedgehog in every 6 months or something like that. Thanks.

Back