Birth Certificates?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoundNoFtWaL

I've been thinking about contacting the pet shop that the previous owners of my chin got him from to see if they know his birthday. I don't know what kind of information if any they would have though especially since it was over a year ago I got him, and his previous owners said he was purchased a year before that.

I just asked Stacie how old Bear is and she said to ask Peggy. :) So, my question is for any of you who breed and sell your chinnies I suppose. Do you, or would you give a birth certificate to chin owners when you sell chinnies?

I think it would be neat to have a certificate. Maybe even put their tiny paw prints on it :) and take a baby pic and inculed it too. I'd have loved that if I recieved this when I got Stitch.

I give out pedigrees with potential show/breeding chins, and pet certificates with pet only chins, that have their DOB, weight at birth, color, photos of their parents and info about their personalities on them.

The pet shop won't be able to give you any information on your chin unless they bred them themselves, which most pet shops don't. Most pet shops get their chins from a wholesaler who picks them up from ranches and breeders across the country. No information is provided with the chins, they are just handed over, and then shipped off to the different pet stores.

Also, it's not truly a birth certificate. It's called a pedigree. Basically it tells you the lines of the animal you are breeding (parents, grandparents), their age, some include color, how many in their litter. I didn't worry about one for Stack because she doesn't breed, so I consider him a "pet" chin and not needing a pedigree.

I give out pedigrees and keep records. I am small enough usually if someone says when the bought it and what they bought I can look it up.

but you are not likely going to get info from the pet store. Really they have no clue usually

Ah k. I'd heard of pedigree papers before, just wasn't sure if that was a breeder only type of form, or if it was something that maybe was standard for chinny sales. I'm not going to breed my Stitch, was just curious as to his birthday.

So how old is Bear Peggy?

Nope, petstores dont get pedigrees for their chins they sell. The ferrets petstores sell have pedigrees or its just a birth certificate. Dont know why one and not the other.

Back