Best ways to socialize with chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrigan

I'm still getting used to my two girls, and after 10 years of owning rats, I have no idea how to socialize with my new furbabies.

Essentially I'm looking for ways to encourage them to interact with us, without bribing them with treats.
Suggestions and websites to read are appreciated.

number one thing you can give them is time. And plenty of it. Also remember that each chin has its own personality and will respond diffrently over time.

My second chin sophie, when i took her in she was actuly fairly calm given the cercomstances. Year or to later tho she still isnt the most social chin. Doesnt like to be pet or anything.

Where as my first chin chico, the first night when i took him in, He was beyond stressed. New family and kids, plus a 2-3 car ride (old family had to move) can do that to him. So the first night here you couldnt even walk NEAR his cage much less interact with him. You steped anywhere near he would go barking crazy! Many years later, he is a very social chin. Love to get his stomich scratched and petted.

So its a good example of how each chin will respond diffrently to start with, and respond diffrently over time. Just have to be patient

You could use apple sticks since you can't go overboard on them. The chins don't really know the difference between them and say a treat. Sometimes putting your hand near, and eventually in the cage for them to get used to you can help. Let them approach you. I do have some chins that are a bit leery of people until you take them out of the cage, then they are perfectly fine, but I always take it slow at first so they can acclimate and adjust to their new home/surroundings.

When I first brought home my chin, she wanted nothing to do with me. It started with me just sitting beside her cage and talking to her, getting her used to me. I let her have control over getting to know me...I didn't try to rush it. Sitting in her pen with her allowed her to eventually come out of her cage and get to know me better. Treats are always a big hit. You shouldn't overdo the treats, but in the beginning, it can help strengthen your bond. Make sure the house is quiet during this bonding time. Time and patience is the key...

i talk to my chins several time a day. every morning i check on them just to make sure everyone is okay. i say hi to them and then there name. (hi jackie, good morning oreo, how are my babies. nice to see you snickers. whats up stitch, hey zucca baby, why you always hiding klinger and finally theres my baby angel richie!) lol i do the same thing when i get home from picking up my son.
whether they come out for a scritch or just pop their head out of the cage they always hear my voice. i usually try to give a little head scratch or for those that dont like that, an under the chin scritch.
then move on to opening the cage and doing the same thing. try to see if they will come up to you. sometimes they nibble on you, sometime hop on your hand or arm.
baby steps is the best way to go. apple sticks are great. you can even break the thin ones in half. make your chins come to you to get them. use the same words.
i can get almost every one of my chins to give me what i interpret as kisses thru the bars before i give them thier nightly 1/2 shredded wheat.

As long as they're used to their cage you can open it, put your hand in, and let them sniff or climb it. Just make sure your hand doesn't follow them and let them come to you on their own terms.

Ive only had Evie for a few hours but I talked to her while I built the cage and she kinda gzed at me then she winked at me

Back