Best Vacuum Cleaner??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amsue0222

chin lover
I am looking for a new vacuum cleaner. I had a Dyson and didn't really like it too much, I broke it. I am pretty hard on vacuums as I am a freak about my floors and vacuum atleast 2 times a day. I then had the Bissell HEalthy home-- I broke it.
I was fed up with broken vacuums and bought a cheap one-- I hate it. It makes my allergies flare up all day!!

Any suggestions on great vacuums? I would like one for allergy people. Bagless preferred but not necessary. I would like to spend no more than $200 on it. I won't spend that kind of money on a Dyson ever again. (My mom doesn't like hers that much either). I know a lot of people that do like them though, I am not a fan.

Hmmm....the Dyson really is the best. Do they sell it at Sam's Club or Costco? Anything that breaks there I return it, their return policy is totally lenient (except electronics). Just keep the receipt.

I have the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser, and I LOVE it!! It's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever had, hands down. It has excellent suction, all sorts of attachments and such to vacuum different surfaces, and it has two filters (one is a HEPA, not sure about the other one) to filter dust and allergens. I do have to replace the belts often, but they are cheap (less than $5 for two) so it's no big deal. It's less than $200 too. Here it is at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9223188

I've got the Bissell PowerTrak Revolution - which works well. I don't have a lot of carpet to vacuum, and I got it at a pretty big discount when I worked at Circuit City (though it is normally only about $100). It has a HEPA filter and a bunch of attachments.

Had a belt break on it pretty recently but it was cheap to replace. I had been using a Shop Vac before I got this on all my carpets, I couldn't believe how much hair (mine and the chins) it picked up.

I have a Kenmore vacuum cleaner and love it! It's not bagless, but my mom had an older version of the one I have now and I'm just used to it. My mom has pretty much the same model I have..just 20-ish years older. Her's still runs perfectly and it's older than I am!! The thing my mom loves about her old Kenmoreis that she can still buy parts for it from Sears.

I think this is the one that I have.

Yah i've heard Kirby's are really great, but aren't they expensive?

If you don't have alot of money, have you ever tried a used repair shop. I personally have a panasonic that has lasted over 20 years. But then again, they don't make them like they used to.

Jean

Here's another vote for the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser. It's $50+ cheaper than the Healthy Home and works great for pet hair. We had the other Bissell pet vac before this one, but the Pet Hair Eraser is far superior. There are no foam filters inside the dirt cup, so traps a lot less dust inside the vac and is easier to wash. All the dirt containing areas are washable so keeps that dust smell away.

I really think that I am going to go with the Pet Hair Eraser-- I am very hard on vacuums and replace them atleast them once a year!! I will never buy a "cheap" vacuum ever again, but won't buy a $500.00 vacuum either because I break all of them-- I carry them up and down the stairs, and vacuum a lot atleast twice a day-- We all have asthma and allergies-- and have 2 dogs, a cat, and 4 + chins-- so a decent vacuum is essential--
Thanks for all of the responses, I looked at all of the reviews online for the pet hair eraser and everyone likes it except for the people that had it for more than a year (which it will be lucky to last that long here) : >

I bought the Hoover Pet Vac Legacy. It has NEVER clogged, Belts have never broke, has a HUGE cannister, is easy to empty, I can vacuum thru 2 inches of chin poo and it doesn't flinch. Is the best Vacuum I have ever had. Bissell Vacuums are garbage IMO and the dyson is to expensive. This Vac was 119.00 at Home Depot. I also have 3 cats and when I vacuum the floor the cannister is full! It does an awesome job. If you empty the cannister and go back over the room, it is empty. The cord is also retractable. and its BRIGHT Purple :) I have had it almost 2 years and still does like it was new.

I bought the Hoover Pet Vac Legacy. It has NEVER clogged, Belts have never broke, has a HUGE cannister, is easy to empty, I can vacuum thru 2 inches of chin poo and it doesn't flinch. Is the best Vacuum I have ever had. Bissell Vacuums are garbage IMO and the dyson is to expensive. This Vac was 119.00 at Home Depot. I also have 3 cats and when I vacuum the floor the cannister is full! It does an awesome job. If you empty the cannister and go back over the room, it is empty. The cord is also retractable. and its BRIGHT Purple :) I have had it almost 2 years and still does like it was new.

ooohhh! It is purple? I love pretty colors-LOL I have pink or purple everything!! I just got a pink ipod nano too!! My daughter's bedrooms pink and the other is purple!!

oh yes a VERY Bright purple Too lol.....I love it....and if you pic up all the big pieces of hay...it will go right thru the bedding and poo. Trust me with 3 cats, 3 chins and dog, I go thru Vacuums like underwear LOL.....we broke 3 in like 8 months LOL. This one we have had almost 2 years and it is awesome. The hose has a large diameter and it goes directly in to the cannister so it doesn't get stuck.

I recently purchased the Eureka Boss Smart MZ vacuum for around $160. I checked out consumer reports and amazon customer reviews before I purchased. So far it seems to be a good vacuum. I love the attachment that gets the hair off my couch! I vacc every day so we will see how long it lasts. For $160 it won't be such a loss if it dies in a few years.

Our Hoover vacuum is going on 12 years old and it's still going strong! It was a hand-me-down from my Dad and it's been awesome! We've just had to do the normal things like replacing the bags and belts, and it's been no trouble at all.

A while back, I demonstrated and sold Electrolux vacuums. Many times I took 10-30 yr. old Electroluxes as trade-ins, that just needed minor work, fixed and re-sold them. Ask your grandma what's the best - she'll tell you, but a lot of people don't know where to get them. They can be expensive - but last forever! Couldn't tell you how many Kirby's and Sears machines I replaced because they didn't work as well! For those with allergies, they even have one approved by the allergy association.
And the difference between buying one that costs $200 every year vs. spending $1200 on one that lasts 20+ years is priceless, especially if it out-performs the cheap one by 40-50%! I've 3 here - not for sale!

Just because they cost 1200.00 does not mean they last 20 years. My Mom HAD the Rainbow.....well you know how much they cost. Upwards of 1500.00 or more, hers lasted a year.....got a replacement it last 2 years....got another replacement.....It last 5 years.....Not worth it in my book....where 1 vacuum may last for 20 years for 1 person, may last 6 months for the next. I can find alot better things to do with 1200+ than buy a vacuum.

I saw a Rainbow on CL here for $200, looked ancient. My grandmother has something similar and has had it at least 20 years, if not longer.

With four chins and two people I chose to buy a $100 vacuum, and it has worked fine - people choose to put their money in different things.

We have a Dyson. It's been pretty good. But they are really expensive. Sometimes I wonder if I could get something equivalent for a lower price, though.....

We have everything from bissel, kurby, rainbow,etc.

I hands down would spend the extra money & get a dyson. Best Vacuum i have EVER used & will NEVER get another brand! I love to vacuum now. haha

Back