Best Place for a Chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenjenn2005

My chins have always been in the main part of my apartment where I spend the most time. I only have Phoebe now and since Maisie passed away she has always been in my living room or bedroom where I always am, so she gets tons of attention day and night. Well, now I'm moving and I will have 2 bedrooms and I was thinking of giving her her own area to set up her playpen and cage so I can have a nice living room and I can actually sleep at night and not hear her running on her wheel. Do chins do better in their own area? Of course I will be checking on her but she won't be right next to me while I"m sleeping, cooking, or watching tv. What is your opinion on this? Do you think she will be happy in her own room? Or should I put her back into the mainstream of my apartment like I always have?

(When I first got chins, they lived in the basement, but Phoebe was not one of them, and I had my fair share of my girls getting out at night and even Maisie got hurt and stuck one night, so having her in another area is somewhat of a concern, even though she will be closer than the basement was)

My chins were in the main part of the house for over a year but now they are in my basement which we use daily as the family room, play room, etc. is down there as well. I find them much happier down there as it's 10 degrees cooler and not as much racket going on around them as it was when they were upstairs. They get daily playtime and a lot of interaction from myself and the kids. If I couldn't sleep I would figure something else out and this is a great opportunity for you to do that.

I personally really like having my chin in my room. Her cage is right at the foot of my bed. But I've always been like that and it's purely a preference thing.

My suggestion is to try out having her in either the living area/bedroom or the second bedroom and see how it goes. You can always move her to another room. Every chin is different and where the cage is really doesn't matter much to them as long as the basics are covered like temp/humidity, safety etc. I think either room she'd be happy in, really, as long as she still gets your attention.

Of course, if you can't sleep that is a factor. If you really can't decide between not being able to see if she's ok all the time and not hearing her wheel constantly think about what she likes and dislikes and try to guess which place she'd enjoy more. For example, if she likes your attention more than her quiet time during the day, then put her in a trafficked area. But if she just likes to be left alone and have space more, put her in her own room.

Does your bedroom adjoin this second room? Maybe you could keep the door open to her room if she'll be in a cage. If she'll be free then maybe put up a very tall gate between the rooms.

Last edited:
Back