Bella's throat is swollen?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lishreese

This morning I checked on Bella and her throat is swollen. There is like a big soft bump there, almost like a fat buildup. It wasn't there last night. She is eating normal and acting normal. It doesn't seem to hurt her because when I touched it to see what it was she tipped her head back and made the scritchy face. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks

It sounds like it could be a cyst or an abscess. You will need to take her to the vet to get it checked out and possibly drained.

I just read something online that said someone's chin had a similar thing happen and it was from bacteria from a horse. It said it was rare, but I took a horseback riding class a few months back. But I always made sure to shower before touching Bella. And it was way back in spring that I had my class. Do u think it could b that still?

I don't know how long the bacteria would linger if there was an exposure, but either way, a vet trip would be necessary, especially since the swelling is in the throat. You will get either antibiotics or need to have an abscess drained along with antibiotics I would imagine. I'm not a vet, so I can't be sure of her needs. But definitely get her in and checked.

What r the antibiotics that they should prescribe if it is just a cyst or abscess? My local vet is not a chin expert but has worked with chins before and he said he should b able to tell if it is something simple like that but I just want to make sure he prescribes the correct medication if necessary. If it is more complicated than that or if he doesn't kno I am going to take her to another place that is an expert, its just far away so I wanted to see him first just in case it is simple.

No penicillins, the most commonly prescribed are sulfa antibiotics (TMS) and baytril (enrofloxacin). Sulfas are easier on them but baytril is stronger, really depends on the severity of infection if any at all.

Thank u for your help everyone. We r heading to the local vet at 1:20. That will leave us enough time to get to the other vet if necessary. I will keep u posted. If anyone else has more advice I would definitely welcome anything u have to say.

So Bella's swelling went down a lot but I still took her to the vet to b sure. He said she seems ok but just keep an eye on her in case it comes back. He thinks it was a bug bite...not sure how it could have gotten through her fur tho. But at least it's gone now :) I'm staying home with her today so I can keep an eye on her but everything seems ok now :)

Back