bathing/washing a chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If there is no medical need, would you recommend regularly washing a chinchilla

• It is ok to bathe the chinchilla

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • No it is not ok to bathe the chin

Votes: 68 89.5%

• Total voters

InkedupTara

Do the chinny shuffle!
What are your views on washing with soap and water, a chinchilla for a NON medical need of the chinchilla. I have seen people on both sides of the issue, and I was curious how everyone feels about this.

Last edited:
It depends on the situation...if the chin got into something and has a large amount of fur saturated in some sort of liquid, then yes I would wash it. Liquid being pop, wine, sauce, or some sort of sticky material like syrup or something.... But just washing one for the heck of it? I see no need and not sure exactly why you would even want to...

I have seen on here, although the post escapes me, someone who is washing their chin because THEY are allergic to the dust. Not the chin, but the person. I dont mean, because they got into foot or grime.

I know there are reasons you would need to wash one, but just because you are "allergic"?

I've water bathed chins before. But I would not do it "regularly" in lieu of dusting, that's just not right. Plus how does a normal person dry a chin? It would take forever with a blow dryer and you can't use heat or they'll overheat. When I've bathed them I use my natural air dog groomer drier.

I wet chin... is not a happy chin... see.
Dust is a must.

novawet.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen on here, although the post escapes me, someone who is washing their chin because THEY are allergic to the dust. Not the chin, but the person. I dont mean, because they got into foot or grime.

I know there are reasons you would need to wash one, but just because you are "allergic"?

No, there is no way I would wash one just because I was allergic....

Never would I bathe a chin because of an allergy I had. Dust is a fact of life when it comes to owning a chinchilla. Personally, I could never deny them their dust bath either just for the sheer joy they get out it. My chin Loki popcorns after her dust bath and I doubt a bath with water and soap would give her that same kind of happiness.

I completely disagree with water bathing a chin unless it has something that dust will not be able to remove. Bathing a chin because the owner is allergic to dust is a weak excuse for being lazy and not taking the time to research the best for the pet. There are so many ways to minimize dust exposure and keep the spray down that it shouldn't be an issue.

Your poll is misleading. I see everybody says they would bathe a chin if need be, but I'm the only one that voted yes I would bathe a chin for a nonmedical emergency. A better question would be "Would you bathe a chin regularly for a nonmedical emergency?" In that case no, obviously I wouldn't.

Essentia has to bathe a chin every now and again because he has an issue with his urinary tract where he is constantly covered in pee. Dust bathing doesn't cut it, the only thing that does is giving him a bath. Another for instance would be the chin who jumped in a bowl of soy sauce. You could dust bathe that chin 3 times a day for a year and it's not going to come out unless the fur primes itself out. A water bath in that case would be not only okay, but probably necessary.

Bathing a chin because you are allergic to it, on the other hand is not the most intelligent thing in the world. By continually bathing the chin, you are producing more dander off the skin, not less. As stated over and over, it is rarely ever the chin itself that people are allergic to, it's the dust, the bedding, the hay. Either learn to live with it by taking an antihistamine or rehome the chin with someone who isn't allergic.

As an aside, I knew a woman once, who I assumed was intelligent because she was a very successful broker. I went to her house to talk to her about investing my retirement fund and she had a beautiful rottie there. She would take long pieces of duct tape, stick it to the dog's fur, then yank. The dog would whimper and cry. I asked her WTF she was doing and she said "The fur bothers me. So to keep my precious I have to do this." I told her she what I thought of her and left. *******.

I apologise if it is misleading. Your second point was more to my point. Would it be wise to REGULARLY bathe them, for a NON emergent/medical need. I dont think I can edit it, but that was the jist of it. I know it is OK to bathe them if they need it, or it is medically needed.

I am trying to show someone that it isnt just a handful of people who disagree with routine bathing for an allergy.

I'm with the others - I would not routinely wet bathe a chin unless for a medical reason - like Tunes' example of urine scald and/or incontinence issues - or for fluid/sticky mess reasons.

Last edited:
I have been on chinchilla forums for over 3 years now, and I know MANY people who either breed or have chins for pets. Not one of them would ever agree that it's okay to put your comfort before the chins NEEDS.
The bottom line is that if you can't provide for the BASIC necessities of the animal, you shouldn't have it. And dust is a must.

I changed your question so it would convey what you really meant.

And yes, she really did that to her dog. I couldn't believe it when put that first piece of tape on then yanked it off. By the time she had put on a second piece I was up out of my chair. It's incredible how ignorant some people can be.

I changed your question so it would convey what you really meant.

And yes, she really did that to her dog. I couldn't believe it when put that first piece of tape on then yanked it off. By the time she had put on a second piece I was up out of my chair. It's incredible how ignorant some people can be.

Thanks, I also called you the wrong name! :rofl: Haha I am not having a good day! So if you want to change your name in my post, that cool! Oh lord!

But back to the topic.

I understand the dangers that I was increasing Phoenix too and I have ordered my blue sparkle dust from forchinatechins. It is on the way and I'm going to discontinue my use of baby shampoo and water on Phoenix.

I know everyone is concerned for Phoenix's well-being but there is no need to call the person lazy and ignorant. I'm sorry that I don't know everything there is about chinchillas and I'm interested and obviously asking a lot of questions about the various things that I would like to obtain for Phoenix. I think that this topic is getting blown out of proportion and I understand that everyone is concerned but the dust is ordered and on the way. What else does everyone want from me? :hair:

I started bathing my chinchillas I'd say about 4 years ago before I knew about the increase risk of health that I was doing. I just didn't think that it was actually causing harm. I now know the dangers and is going to stop bathing and start using the dust bath.

If I have problems with the dust bath, I would like everyone to recommend other brands that I may be able to substitute it in. :)

Latest posts

Back