Basic question, how do you calm a chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takuraktty

This has not happened to me yet but I want to be prepared. I know chins can get traumatized by events that can happen. How do you calm them down?

If the chin is totally stressed, a drop or two or rescue remedy avaliable at health food stores or whole foods rubed into the ear will help calm. Calming is not taming, its just used in extreme cases.

Yeah thats what I mean thanks. My chin is tame but if something ever happened that freaked him out I'd want to know what to do. Thanks I'll pick some up in case of an emergency. (Just if he were panicked don't want him running around and possbily getting hurt)

I find that blowing some air in the chin's face will come them down. I adopted this method from working with rats and it seems to be pretty good with chins too. You can also follow it up with a scratch behind the neck and covering their eyes.

I was recommended to blow into my chins face when she sprays. I can tell you from experience this only works to completely hack off my chin. I would think a nice quiet calm soothing voice would help in calming down a chin. I have a boy who is very active at night and I often speak to him to get him to stop his compulsive behavior.

Scalding urine to the eye... Not something they tell you about when buying your first chin:)

I calm a traumatized chin with scritches and a soothing voice...but the best remedy is a familiar chinchilla to cuddle them and groom them. When another chin is not advisable, I would follow Dawn's advice.

sometimes when my chins get "antsy" or jumpy in the transport from cage to play area, i hold them and often use my hand to cover their eyes and i talk to them very calmly. i also try to hold or touch them several times a day.
i havent used rescue remedy but that sounds like a nice idea too! i know aroma therapy works in othe pets, so i will have to check that stuff out myself too!

Back