Bad teeth problems... Think putting her down is best... :-(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thanks, Dawn. What would cause this in chins? I know what causes it in humans, but plaque build up and such isn't exactly a known issue in them. Don't mean to take over the thread, just some curiosity questions.

Can anyone produce this research of a malo reversing diet? We had a rescue come in with malo so $5000.00 worth of surgery and still had to euth...

I would be interested in giving the research to my exotics vet.

Maybe we can all make one foundation to actually research chinchilla health and rescue sort

It could give us relief and know what to expect and give chins a better life

To OP
I can't imagine what your going through, but like another person said it's not immediate death sentence, there might be some time to be salvaged

Can anyone produce this research of a malo reversing diet? We had a rescue come in with malo so $5000.00 worth of surgery and still had to euth...

I would be interested in giving the research to my exotics vet.

There is no research by a legit source, its all rumors and its centered around a core "group". You cannot reverse malo, if that fact was true do you not think there would be actual research papers and that the fur industry would not be involved? Its not true.

Ok thanks, Dawn. What would cause this in chins? I know what causes it in humans, but plaque build up and such isn't exactly a known issue in them. Don't mean to take over the thread, just some curiosity questions.

Two reasons primarily, food or debris become packed in the periodontal space around the teeth, once there bacteria is introduced into a area that was not accessible and inflamation occurs, once that happens thin collagen fibres of the periodontal ligament are rapidly resorbed, this allows the development of periodontal pockets, loose teeth and abcesses.

The other reason is high levels of refined carbohydrates that encourage the growth of bacteria, which leads to plague and carries, both that can cause the imflamation of the periodontal space.

Last edited:
Is there any way to prevent this sort of thing? Obviously you can't brush or floss a chins teeth.

There is no way to prevent slivers of wood under the gum, hay or food impaction but it can be treated when caught early by a good teeth cleaning of the pockets and a round of antibiotics. The problem is most vets don't know squat about chin teeth let alone soft tissue disease and few actually do periodontal probing or teeth cleaning during oral exams when a chin presents symtoms that are not apparent visually. Most won't even do x-rays it seems if the teeth look good visually. The owner needs to persist with diagnosing oral issues and not take NO for a answer, and if that means going through several vets and visits the so be it. Left untreated because the owner and vet gives up is when perio takes over.

Back