~Baby with a cold, what to do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~SG~

Orchestrating Chaos
My 8 month old baby is getting a cold :(
When my others were little you could give them infant dosed cold meds but now they say they are not safe.

So my question is, what can you do for a baby with a cold? No fever, just a snot nose and a little cough.

I know the standard things, nice warm vapor baths and moist air etc, lots of cuddle time. Anyone know something else to make him feel better?

Have you tried those Vicks Vapor plug-ins? They worked wonders the last time the snotties circulated through our house.
Also my daughter loved the Vapor patches- she always hates the goop all over her chest and the patch stops that. Probably not such a good idea with an 8 month old, unless you could make sure they could't get to it.

I have Vicks infant vapor rub and it's in such a cute little tin.
I'll get some of the plug ins, I didn't know they had those! Thanks!

As long as you follow proper dosing, children's cold meds are fine. There are some products on recall, but if the store brands are in stock, they are fine. Ask your pharmacist what they suggest. They may recommend an allergy medicine that treats runny nose.

Children's yes, but I'm talking about a 8 month old baby. I don't think they even sell infant cold medicine anymore, at least my store doesn't carry any.

CVS still does, we don't have brand Tylenol or Motrin, but we do have the store brand. Sorry, I tend to lump children/infant medicine together because it's in the same area in our store.

dang, wish I had a CVS near me. Closest one is in the next county over :(
you know anything else good for a sick baby?

Like I said, if it's just runny nose, chances are you'll be told to use an allergy med for the anti-histamine. I'm not sure if they make infant's zyrtec/claritin/etc though... I know our pharmacist doesn't recommend stopping coughs because the cough is the body's way of clearing out whatever's in the lungs/throat. The only other suggestion is call the pediatrician and see what else they suggest.

ETA: I see you're on NC/VA line. How far are you from West Jefferson, NC? There's a CVS there.

Oh. :D I wasn't sure! I know where we stay just outside of West Jefferson is about 20 min from the border.

Back