Baby squirrel rescue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcr

On Monday my son brought me a nearly dead baby squirrel he found laying in a ditch.

Here's a picture of him
chip1.jpg

After an all night triage getting him warm and rehydrated he started to recover.

chip2.jpg

I didn't plan for or know the slightest thing about squirrel rehab but luckily ended up having most of the supplies necessary in my chin medical kit.

Chip is doing really good now.
chip3.jpg

The last two weeks have been really tough at my house so getting to save this baby squirrel has really helped bring my spirits back up. So I thought I'd share good news with everyone. :throw:

p.s. I always keep a pack of apple flavor pedialyte singles in my medical supply kit and highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

Lucky your son found him!!! He's looks like hes doing really well congrats

He is so super cute! Thank you for caring for him. That was great that your son brought him to you - how compassionate! Are you going to release him back into the wild?

awww how cute! I love squirrels! I hope he continues to do well!

Good luck if you do release him. I'd be scared he'd be too friendly with humans and get hurt or something. I wonder if there's a wildlife area where he could be released or live.

Thanks everyone.

The local Audobon society won't take him because he is a non-native species and they euthanize them on the spot when people bring them in.:cry3: I could not find an organization that would take a "non-native" squirrel in my area.

I was thinking of releasing him in a nature park a 1/4 mile from my house when he's old enough but want to run in by a couple of rehabbers first to see if that would be the best thing for him because squirrels are territorial. I haven't gotten very far with it because I didn't think he would make it to today. We are trying to limit our interaction with him so he's not overly friendly. We live in suburbia and there are some boys in an adjoining neighborhood who have no supervision or regard for wildlife when it comes to using their airsoft guns. One of them came over yesterday to see 'the squirrel'. I hope I planted a seed in his 9 yr old mind and he remembers Chip the next time he picks up his rifle.

In the meantime I'm enjoying watching his little personality unfold as he gets stronger, hungrier and more animated.:))

Last edited:
I have my 2 little girls with me and as we scrolled down it was as if on key we all said awwwwww. That is the most adorable face. My girls tell me to tell you thank you for saving this baby. :bird5:

I have hand fed baby squirrels before. When he's older he will get so rambunctious you'll need to let him go. Ours stayed around the house but did grow leary of us and would come close but wouldn't let us touch him anymore. His natural instincts will take over and he will become a wild squirrel once he gets returned to the outside. Have fun with him in the meantime. They are great fun.

That is so sweet of you to do. So, you have no native squirrels where you live? How odd.

There are native squirrels here but he is an "Eastern Gray Squirrel" which is non-native and since they compete for territory they aren't accepted at wildlife facilities in the area. Or in their own words
HTML:
Wildlife Care
Center does not accept non-native animals for
treatment. This includes fox and eastern gray squirrels.
Introduced species compete with and reduce the
numbers of native wildlife. Injured and orphaned
non-native squirrels left at the Wildlife Care Center
will be humanely euthanized

:cry3:

He will be definitely be returned to his outdoor home. I just need to decide where the best place would be.

Here's some pictures from today. He is kind of a mess from the handfeedings but still a cute little bugger.
Tail up!
chip0612095.jpg

Contemplating the world....
chip0612096.jpg

Stealing treats.
chip0612093.jpg

Tummy full and sound asleep.
chip0612091.jpg

Back