Baby and Momma Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moji-n-Rocco

Hello, four weeks ago today I woke up to a surprise kit! Its doing great! Now i just wanna ask a few things to be sure i don't do anything wrong.

1) Can I put ledges in? If so how many, how high? If not now, when?
2) Can the wheel be put back in? If so any thing i should know or do to be as safe as possible? If not now, when?
3) It is a female. So it's ok that her and momma be housed together from here on out correct?

Anything else I should know about the next few weeks and months?

I can help with a few of these questions, but some need a more experienced answer...

1) no ledges. kits are clumsy, so they should be kept to a 1 story house.
2) no wheel. kits need all the energy/calories they get for growing, and if they try to jump on when the mother is running they can get hurt/thrown from the wheel.
3) Sexing chins is very hard when they are young, because there is some swelling at first. Maybe you should post a pic for those more experienced people to just double check? We don't want another surprise!!

I can help with a few of these questions, but some need a more experienced answer...

1) no ledges. kits are clumsy, so they should be kept to a 1 story house.
2) no wheel. kits need all the energy/calories they get for growing, and if they try to jump on when the mother is running they can get hurt/thrown from the wheel.
3) Sexing chins is very hard when they are young, because there is some swelling at first. Maybe you should post a pic for those more experienced people to just double check? We don't want another surprise!!

You are SO right!! ill try to get a good picture, shes a wiggle worm!!

Pretty much what koko said.
You dont rly want ledges and levels right now. Kits are clumsy and get get hurt trying things they shouldnt.
No wheel/play time. Kits need to focus there energy on growing no expending them on exercise for the first 6 months. They also dont know limitations and can very easily over heat themselves which can lead to a lot of problems.
A female kit can remain with mom. You may wish after 8 weeks if the chin is healthy to remove her from mom for a week or so. To ween her off. Make sure she is eating pellets and hay and drinking on her own. After that she should be good to live with mom providing they get along. - Ppl often mistake a chins gender. I would try to get a clear picture and post it here. Just in case. Other wise you might end up with another surprise kit.

Back