Average cost for check-up and neutering

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenMcStay

Chillamom
Hi there,

I was wondering what the average cost would be to get a male chinchilla neutered (in Pennsylvania, if that matters). I am taking him in for a check-up to make sure he is healthy enough to go through the surgery, but I am just curious as to how much a routine check-up typically costs, and also the average cost of getting them neutered. I asked the clinic what the estimate would be but they were unable to tell me. I just want to make sure I have enough saved up before taking him in so I don't run into any problems.

Thanks,
-Lauren

No one can really give you an accurate average estimate. All clinics charge differently, so it depends on the clinic you go to. I have seen office visit prices anywhere from $30 upwards to almost to $100 for exotics. Surgery price depends on what all is included. Surgery itself, anesthesia costs, if pre-anesthetic blood work is done, medications, etc. Not all clinics do everything and some things may be optional.

Personally, the clinic I used to work at charged $280 for a chinchilla neuter- this price was for blood work, anesthesia, surgery, post-op pain meds. Office visit was $49.

Varies greatly by area or even individual vet clinic. For example the small clinic without an exotics vet there most days used to neuter our rabbits for $40 no other fee or separate checkup needed. The large vet clinic with a constant exotics vet as their main vet (one we use now) charges $40 to walk in the door with anything, requires 2 separate appointments to do a checkup ahead of time, and another $150-$200 for neutering small animals. That's just 30miles apart.

I am located in Charleston SC and actually priced this today from my vet.

I first want to say, I'm having my male neutered for the sake of my two males to live together again. My two have been cage mates for 4 years now and never had any issues between the two. My younger one started to develop dominance issues. There was dominance mounting and it became aggressive and he started biting my older one in the back of the head. I wasn't able to get vet care immediately so an abscess developed under the wound, regardless of the proper care we took for it. He finally got into the vet....and $500 later plus a demanding and difficult recovery, he is finally healing up well.
So now I'm going to get my younger one fixed before they can live in a cage together again. I see a local exotic vet who has worked with chinchillas before, including neutering operations. He quoted me today for $200, give or take 10%, for the procedure. My $500 spent previously was for a wounding draining, antibiotics and lab tests with infections results.
Typically, for just an exam fee it's $55 and the antibiotics were roughly $40 or so.

Anywho, I hope this has helped of giving an idea of what to expect from taking them to a vet. Luckily, I was financially prepared for this, so Louie and Rico are getting the help they need.

Just a thought, a pet insurance company offers health insurances that covers chinchillas for accidents and illnesses. I was quoted $200 a year for two of them on a plan and I think 90% coverage. I can not remember the deductible cost, but this is certainly something to consider. The insurance costs for two is cheaper than the cost of my recent vet visits for one.

Good luck on your hunt!

There are lot of learning center or clinic in and around Pennsylvania for pets where they do the routine checkup and according to that predict that they are fit enough or not.

Latest posts

Back