Attaching tunnel to cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Parent

I was looking at the Super Pet Tropical Fiddle Sticks http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753325&keepsr=0&clickid=body_rv_txt, and I thought it would be cool to attach them to the top of the cage in a tunnel. This would be U-shaped, against the top of the cage, but I'm wondering how I would affix it to the cage. I've seen in done a couple times but I could figure out what people were using to do it or what hardware would be safe to use. Do you have any suggestions on methods of installing it? I'm just getting to the point where I feel better about having Chinchy's things attached to the cage, since he likes to rearrange things during the night.

I'd drill some holes in the wood and then the majority of my toys are attached via wood screws with washers and wingnuts so I'd probably do that. I've been staring at the fiddle sticks too, but I haven't managed to order the large ones yet. Pics when you get them up!

That's a good idea. I'll try that. I won't be able to splurg on Chinchy for a month or so (though right now I'm processing a bunch of apple and crab apple wood for him, as well as trying my hand at making fleece accessories for him) but I'm excited to make a bunch of ledges and toys for him to finish his cage. I got him in January, and ever since then I've been working hard to spoil him. Pretty much every time I come home, I have another accessory or ledge to put in his cage, he always runs to the front of his cage now when I get home.

The Petsmart that I go to only has the medium ones, and I saw the large ones at Petland, but they are 5 dollars more expensive then they should be. I'm probably going to end up getting them off Amazon, where they are 10 bucks with free 2-day prime shipping.

I have several of the Fiddle Sticks tunnels that use to be in the cage but now I put out during playtime.
That being said... I would invest in one of the fleece covered tunnels from here instead. It costs a few dollars more, but it is washable and easy to vacuum out.
The fiddle sticks hold poop like a magnet and without being able to unflex them to get it out, then it might aggregate in there.

Where do you get wood screws at? I've yet to use them for anything on his cage.

on the topic of the fiddlestick tunnels getting poop stuck in them, i find my little dustpan broom that i use for sweeping shelves works great to get the poops out of the grooves between the sticks. a lil flick of the wrist and out they go! lol. Rhino has the natural one, curved to make a house of sorts on his cage bottom.

if yours is going to be attached to the cage, Chin Parent, you could use a small nail brush to get the poops out, since the space will be tighter with it affixed to the cage.

Back