At what age would you consider malo genetic

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godins Chinchillas

Godin's Chinchillas
I'm just curious to know what everyone's thoughts were on maloclussion when it comes to age. At what age would you consider malloclusion genetic-considering all other things are normal?. Normal eating, normal delivery, normal anatomy, etc.

That's a tough one. I think the REAL genetic malo occur within a short period of time. I had a violet from breeder in Cali that had the most messed up teeth I had ever seen. As they get over 3, I have to wonder how could this be genetic and show up so late?

I had a line here that ALL got malo, going back to one animal. The oldest was the mother of them all, she wasn't young, I'd say 6 or older without looking at her pedigree, the offspring from here were from 6 months old. After coming here within several months they all came down with malo. I don't deal with malo a lot here, and out of that bunch of animals ( a larger selection) it was only this group related to that female, which to me would be a genetic thing. If it was environmental from either place I'd think that all of the animals would be affected, not just one line.

There are just so many non genetic factors to be considered that it is hard to just set any particular age. When I see it happen 2 or 3 times or more in a line then I make the assumption that it is genetic.

When it happens under a year and a half, tooth elogation on the other hand can rear its ugly head later in life and be genetic.

I think it depends on the kind of malo you're talking about, since malo as a term is inclusive of all teeth problems. From what my vet explained to me, it's harder to know if spurs on the teeth is genetic or environmental, but root elongation is genetic and can crop up at any time and by aggravated by environmental issues (poor food, no hay, etc.)

Back