Arthritis in older dog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty Foot Prints

I looked and didn't see a thread on this, so I apologize if I'm posting incorrectly here..
I have a old Shih Tzu dog, Charlie Chan who's starting to groan a little when he gets up from sleeping or laying down. I don't know exactly how old he is, my husband rescued him when his previous owners were evicted from their apartment and just left him behind. My husband saw him sitting in the parking lot and asked him if he wanted to go home with him and he jumped into the car. That was about 5 years ago and we've had him ever since. He went blind about 3.5 years ago but gets around just fine as long as I don't move the furniture around. If I had to guess, I'd say he's about 10-12 yrs old.
I don't think the arthritis is really bad at this point, but wanted to know if anyone had any experience with an over the counter med or something homeopathic that they've had good luck with?
Thanks!

My vet recommended (and uses) Synovi G3 for my two dogs who have joint problems. You can buy it online. I have seen an improvement in my dogs since they have started taking this! My one dog is pigeon toed and has DJD in his shoulders (only 3 years old :( ) and my other dog destroyed his knee running in the snow last year.

A simple Glucosamin/Chondroitin supplement can work wonders for some dogs. Bear (80 lbs, 10 year old lab mix) takes Kirkland brand (meant for people...1500mg). He thinks its his nightly treat and chews them up. If he goes off of them for more than a day or two, we really notice a difference...he can get to the point where he shifts all his weight forward because his hips hurt and to where he cries when he stands up from laying down. As long as he takes his nightly pills though, I usually only see stiffness when its cold outside. (When his sister was alive though, Glucosamine/Chondroitin had no obvious effect on her.)

You can also add MSM...works as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. I also recommend supplementing 1000+mg fish oil. I just get the human gel caps...my dogs love the taste as is. It has many benefits (Omega-3 fatty acids, anti-inflammatory, may help prevent heart disease, great for the skin and coat, and more).

Keep in mind these are all supplements and it may take up to several weeks before you notice improvement, if any.

Last edited:
Seconding the glucosamine/chondriotin. Your vet can give you an idea of how much to give. I've found that giving the old ones a warm place to nap can help a lot too. If the weather is particularly cold, I'll put a heating pad on low on the bed for a few minutes to let Bobby warm his hips and I usually get grumped at when I turn it off. Massage (gentle, of course) can help with the muscle stiffness that comes with not using a sore joint/limb, which can make the problem worse. It's also a good way to keep an eye on how sore a particular spot is and decide if/when the dosage needs increased, or if it's time to think of pain medication.

Thanks guys! I'll have to try out some of the suggestions. I got him one of those dog orthotic beds but he still prefers sleeping on the cold, hard tile- we're in FL, so its warm most of the time, but it is supposed to get down in the 20's next week, Brrrrrr. I've also been gently massaging him and he is very appreciative of it. We're not due to go to the vet for a while, but if he seems to be getting worse, I'll have to bump it up. He's such a sweet, grateful old boy. :)

When my last Border Collie got very sore with arthritis I began giving her a baby aspirin twice a day. When that didn't work the vet tried several different anti-inflammatory for her. The first was Rimadyl, which didn't help much at all, then we tried Duramaxx, a little better but not much. Lastly, we tried Metacam and it made a world of difference in her ability to get up from sleeping and to get around. Her liver enzymes were monitored at regular intervals. I wish you luck in finding something that helps your dog.

Dogs are good at hiding pain. If he is groaning when arising chances are he has some arthritis and you should start him on something NOW if you want to extend his life. I had a dobe that needed surgery at 11 years old for an unrelated issue. On x-ray, the vet saw arthritis in her spine. I immediately started her on a glucosamine product and added an anti-inflammatory when she started to get worse. She lived to 15 1/2 and it was a tumor in her chest that did her in.

Thankfully you have a little dog so it won't be near as expensive as treating a large breed. I liked cosequin and dasaquin but since I no longer work at a vets, it has become quite expensive. I started using arthogen PLUS for my 12 year old mini schnauzer a couple of months ago. I am HAPPY to report she has started running around again. She runs for no apparent reason..just because she can lol. You can find it online. You have to start with a larger dose for the first 4 to 8 weeks. Right now my 15 lb Zoe gets a half pill in the morning and a half pill at night. It doesn't help every dog but if it helps yours, you will be most grateful :)

I have two older beagles with arthritis. One has it in his back and the other has it in her hips, back area. My male just started having problems, so I am planning on finding him some supplements to help out. My female has been taking carprofen for a year now and also gets a shot monthly called adequin (spelling?). This has helped her a lot. I will also look into these supplements suggested on here.

We're on day 2 of Cosequin/Chondrotin. He's always ran around & played- even though he's blind, so I'm guessing the only change I'll see, or rather hear, is his lack of the groan when I pick him up. I know it will take a while before there is any improvement. I'll do updates.

Back