Arlington TX 1 year update

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany

Mia Bella Vita
This week marks the 1 year anniversary of the raid on US. Global Exotics in Arlington Texas. In the months that followed members of this forum rallied together and donated lots of time, money, supplies, and advice to help 70 +/- chinchillas get a fresh start on life.

As a way to thank members for their contributions I thought it would be nice to get an update on how the furballs doing. If you have any information on any of the animals that were helped please feel free to post an update. (Carol- I'm challenging you to post pictures of your girls :neener:)

I'll go first:

I met my Lady on Feb. 6th 2010 when Jillian brought several of the chins up from St. Louis. I got her into her own carrier and she road "shot-gun" while we delivered the other chins to Carol.

Now she is a chubby 660g and still growing. Adolescences hit this summer and she has developed quite the 'chin-i-tude'. If she hears me in the apartment she'll shake her cage bars until I pay attention to her. She loves chilling in my hoodie pouch or on my shoulder while I'm doing homework or chores (it's hard to fold laundry when one hand is holding the base of her tail). Lady lives the spoiled life in her own QC Mansion complete with chin-spin. She loves grooming my hand, Tanya's broad spectrum supplement, and apple sticks.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to everyone who played a part in getting my baby home to me. I didn't know anything was missing until Lady popcorned and wall-surfed her way into the deepest corners of my heart, and now I can't imagine life without her.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

"Carol- I'm challenging you to post pictures of your girls"

Allright, I will, but it won't be today.

My girls, Nola and Nora, are doing fine. Nola is a sweet thing, easy to hold, friendly, curious and lots of fun to be around. Nora, on the other hand, acts as if I beat her daily. She is skittish and kind of wild. But they are both healthy, happy and spoiled and I enjoy having them here in my home.

I still have my 2 boys. Midnite & Pichu. They are both doing well. I will post pictures in the next couple day.
My two are like carol's though....Midnite is super curious, always waiting by the front of the cage and very friendly.......LOVES playtime! He is a lite ebony & last week he weighed 573.
Pichu also acts like i beat him daily! very skittish. always sitting at the back of the cage when he is not huddled with midnite. He is a standard with a pretty white belly and his weight last week was only 476.
I think midnite is a food hog! I do have 2 bowls in the cage and always leave plenty of hay for two.
I have thought of rehoming them as that was my intention in the first place but they kinda grew on me and so for now they will stay here with my other 7 chinnies.

My wonderful chin Elizabeth Bennet (Lizzie) came to me from the raid. Lizzie is my crazy girl who lives up to her namesake - "a lively, playful disposition, which delighted in any thing ridiculous." She now lives with two other females, Eli and Emma. Poor Lizzie does have it a little rough, as her Daddy enjoys torturing her at least a once a week by holding a cookie out in front of her, causing her to stick out her tongue. He finds this very humorous, poor Lizzie just finds it confusing. Her sisters also often use her as a pillow, and she spends parts of her day in a jar. Even with this rough life, she is very good about sharing her sticks with her sisters.

cookie!?!?
P8110116.jpg

pillow
P6140055.jpg

jar chin
P6170085.jpg

sharing
P6080009.jpg

Last edited:
Aw, Lady is beautiful Brittany! And you two, Carol and Michelle, promises, promises! Just load the pics! :D

ETA: woops! Lizzie just snuck in there, LOL! She's precious, I love that last pic of her in the jar, too cute! :))

Last edited:
I took in a trio and still have one. Tara's Peanut, I called her Jewel, and her poor fiasco with the fungus which taught me not to trust my shelter's vets...or boyfriend with a chin at a vet. She had some fur loss and her nose and then hair started growing back after she got looked at and I thought she was ok. Tara is a saint that is all I can say.

The one girl Gemini got adopted for a college student's early birthday and she kepted the name Gemini. I did get an update a few months after her adoption and she is doing well and is loved and seems like she is still the two faced chinchilla, hence her name. She could be sweet one second and then chinnie curse you the next.

And the last of the trio is Violet, who has turned into a nasty little biter and will probably be staying with me for that reason. I keep telling myself when i get her this time I won't let her get me....that doesn't usually work out to my favor. She will come up and jump on me if she's out, but God forbid I try to pick her up. Her pictures include dust bath, perching, and insane wall surf after a dust bath.

Attachments

• 016-resized.jpg
    016-resized.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 79
  • 011-resized.jpg
    011-resized.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 014-resized.jpg
    014-resized.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 83
The four I took in are still doing well. I still keep in contact with all the owners to check on them.

Vexon and Xion (black and ebony pair) stayed together and went to a family who had never owned chinchillas before, but was all about learning. Before they were adopted the family went and purchased a huge cage, decked it out in everything pine, and made a bunch of comfy fleece stuff. They were so excited to get them. They keep in touch with me from time to time.

Sora went to a vet tech in Gainsville, FL. She already owned another chin and was looking for a friend for her. After quarantine they were introduced and get along well, and have been best buddies ever since.

Axel went to Stephanie from this forum. From what I have heard he's one of the favorites. :D I'll let her update on his progress.

Here are some pictures from when I had the chins. I will email their owners and see if I can get some updated pictures of them.

Picture015-2.jpg

Sora or Axel. They looked EXACTLY like each other, so without seeing their genitals I wouldn't begin to be able to tell you which is which.

FL876.16575406-1-x.jpg

FL876.16575406-3-x.jpg

And it wasn't Axel who went to Stephanie...it was Ansem (Axel is my violet). Apparently I wasn't awake when I wrote that. lol

I just spoke to the mom of Havoc and Mayhem (used to be Vexon and Xion). With a heavy heart she told me that Havoc (the black velvet) died a few months ago, she just didn't have the heart to tell me. They were in a FN without the middle section, and he fell from the top area of the cage and broke his neck when he hit the bottom. :( She said she watched it happen, but wasn't able to get to him in time. He died instantly. She said it was a very sad day for all, counting his "life mate". She said Mayhem was visibly upset for about two weeks, but is now doing well. She also has added the middle floor back into the cage.

RIP little man.

I'm so sorry Crysta. My heart is broken for you and Havoc's family.

Poor guy at least there wasn't any pain though. And he at least enjoyed a happy home where he was loved instead of suffering in a pet store and winding up as some kids neglected pet.

Poor guy at least there wasn't any pain though. And he at least enjoyed a happy home where he was loved instead of suffering in a pet store and winding up as some kids neglected pet.

Very, very true. He was my favorite of everyone I took in so it hurts the heart more than a little, but I appreciate everything she did for them when she took them in. She is still a great chin mom and I understand accidents happen.

RIP Havoc. It sounds like he lived a very loved and spoiled life to the end!

Back