Are chin personalities born or bred?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chechinchillas

hmmmmmmm
I have had really sweet chins come from not so sweet parents. To me it seems like they are born with their personalities. I work with all of the babies of course to tame them and socialize them, but some are just born really friendly or extra laid back, even if the parents are not. I would not breed an aggressive chin, but some are definitely not sweet. Born or Bred? (I know it also depends on their treatment and care, but if they are all getting the same good treatment and care)

I believe both. But also it may be sort of a recessive trait, or it's possible that they parents were sweet at one time, but had traumatic things happen that changed it.

Nature and nurture, not one or the other. My YouBe is from a litter born to a territorial male and a sweet female. He and his brothers were all sugar lumps when they were young, but the other two boys were sold a year or two ago. Who knows what their personalities are like now. YouBe is what I'd call a "friendly" or "sweet" chin, loves his cuddles and grooming me, but when he and Crash were caged together, he was more reticent and prone to barking b/c Crash was picking on him. By 'nature' he's mellow; the environment in which he was 'nurture'd for a few weeks made him uncomfortable. (He's back to normal now that they're separated.)

I have three boys and they are all what I would call sweeties. All were bred for show and have pedigrees but I'm don't think that's required to be a good pet at all. In fact it could mean being handled less resulting in a scared new pet. Each boy has a different background which accounts for some areas of trust being harder to earn but because each seems to have a great personality these are gotten with time. I met Edgar mom who was shy but seemed sweet and have heard Oscar's mom is as well. Jackie's mom is Edgar's half sister from another litter and I've seen the papa from both. He was afraid of us and hid in the run. In my case I think nurture had a lot to do with personalities growing into good pets with what nature gave them.

I think it is a bit of both, Genetics makes you pre-disposed for a condition..and your environment brings it out or doesn't.

I would say the chins may carry traits from their parents, though treatment will have a major impact in the way they behave. Sure, if you only feed the chin and do little with him/her (meaning play around with the chin or give it attention), he/she might still not be all that sociable. They are like people, some will prefer be left along while others will want attention. Probably most of their personalities come from nature, though treatment may affect a chinchilla in a way or another. So genetics mostly. That's what I think.

Definetly both. Temperment is innate, however the enviroment will cause how the chin acts in the future. Think of it like babies. Some babies are fussy and whiney, some are just happy and quiet. If you treat one with lots of attention but are mean and ignore the other, you can alter the way thier personalities develop. So how the act initially is certianly innate, however, what their personalities develop into will totally depend on thier surroundings and how they are interacted with.

I think genetics play into it more than we realize. I have 8 chins here. All have had the same upbringing, and a majority of them have been here since they were kits. Only two were received at a year or older.

Monaco (6 months when purchased, around 4 now) is only affectionate when it's dinner time.
Cead (1 year when purchased, 2 now) loves attention
Hash (3 months when received, just turned 6 yrs) enjoys scritches through the cage bars, otherwise runs
Cuda (3 months when purchased, going on 4) a total cuddle bug
Smokie (18+months when received, around 3 now) hates everything, but will tolerate scritches if she's feeling generous
Noon (around 6 months when received, year and a half now) is a total brat and will bite/spray almost all the time unless she's in the mood for scritches
Piper (4 months when received, 1 year now) is a total sweetheart
Scooter (born here, 4 months now) is your typical baby chin and will take attention, but also spazzes out and runs.

Noon and Piper both came from the same breeder, as did Cead and Cuda. Like I said, everyone has had the same handling/interactions since they came home to me, some are just predispositioned for certain personalities.

Temperament is more inherent (bred) than environment IMO - though any behavior can be improved with training.

Allison posted an excellent article in the articles section about this.

I have walked into a barn where the chins have been touched once or twice in their lives - to be weaned, and they will walk out onto your arm, curious and friendly as can be. I have had chins born here out of "friendly" parents that latch on to a hand and do not let go the second they are born. They come around with handling but if left without contact would turn into some unfriendly animals, and likely their parents/grandparents would have been too if unhandled.

Interesting topic though.

Temperament is more inherent (bred) than environment IMO - though any behavior can be improved with training.

Allison posted an excellent article in the articles section about this.

I have walked into a barn where the chins have been touched once or twice in their lives - to be weaned, and they will walk out onto your arm, curious and friendly as can be. I have had chins born here out of "friendly" parents that latch on to a hand and do not let go the second they are born. They come around with handling but if left without contact would turn into some unfriendly animals, and likely their parents/grandparents would have been too if unhandled.

Interesting topic though.

I agree that temperament is more inherent than environment.
Allicon said:
I have had chins born here out of "friendly" parents that latch on to a hand and do not let go the second they are born.

I have seen this behavior in newborns and believe it is natural self protection behavior. The behavior does not indicate a bad tempered animal. To me it indicates a healthy kit reacting to being kidnapped from his mother. Mother nature equips babies with self defense if possible. Newborn kits here who latched onto a hand grew up to be very well tempered animals.

There was a Netflix show I watched about Dogs which included a bit about a study that would indicate it is a genetic trait which makes a suitable pet. To summarize, it starts with the fact that ALL domestic dogs from Chihuahua to Great Dane share common ancestry - one particular species of Gray Wolf, apparently. Now the interesting thing is the incredible variance in domestic dog variety while the Wolf remains pretty much the same.

The study takes some newborn wolves and attempts to raise them as they would a domestic dog, but finds that after a certain point they can no longer maintain them indoors as they end up acting like wolves despite the upbringing being the same as a domestic puppy. While the dogs tame, the wolves are still "wild" in nature and do not accept the same social restrictions on behavior that the dogs will. I found this surprising, as I always tended to believe in nurture having an effect on nature to a greater degree than this would indicate.

HOWEVER, there was some deeper exploration into this idea which I found really interesting when they discussed an experiment which was begun about 50 years ago with Arctic Foxes. In THAT experiment, they took a sampling of several hundred of members of the species and noted that out of the wild animals, they fell into one of three categories: there were some which were instinctively afraid of people, some which were aggressive towards people, and some which were neither afraid nor aggressive. It was the that third grouping which is described as having the "tameness" gene.

When bred selectively with others from within each grouping, they found the tendencies magnified to some degree - as demonstrated by one of the handlers whose finger is bitten by one of the aggressive foxes right through the cage even though there is no provocation of any kind. Most interesting was that the foxes selected for that lack of fear and lack of aggression were MUCH more easily assimilated to human life and were affectionate and apparently quite excellent companions and remarkably well suited to be pets.

There was talk of perhaps a new choice in these foxes alongside the traditional cats and dogs because they were well adapted for that. And the most fascinating development was that while the aggressive and fearful of the species had not altered their physical attributes in the generations of breeding over these last 50 years, the "tame" group had begun to show all kinds of anomalies in their appearance such as fur color and markings, as well as shortened limbs and wider flatter skulls, some with floppy ears (SOOO CUTE!!) and some with curly tails, and so on... variances much like the differences in the domestic dogs which all come from that same stock of genes. None of the changes showed up in the other groups, but somehow that tame trait allowed for the changes to show up!

There is also a genetic trait which is shared by all species of animals and people concerning the way the central nervous system is "hard wired." (I recently learned about this because I stumbled upon something on the internet which pretty much explained my entire life in the concept of "HSP"s - which is representing "highly sensitive" or "Hyper-sensitive" persons. ) In approximately 15-18% of human and animal populations, there are some which essentially have a built in amplifier of all kinds of stimuli which essentially "turns up the volume" on every sight and sound or sensation experienced, essentially lowering the threshold for the amount of stimuli necessary to have an effect when compared with the rest of the population. In humans, such people are sometimes considered "empathic" in the same fashion as the Star Trek Next Generation character Betazoid Deanna Troi. I think this may also play a part in which individuals make a better companion than others in terms of pets as well. I have noticed that certain of the animals I have had as pets over the years (dog, cat, hamster, parakeet, snake) have exhibited a remarkably attractive personality which sets them apart from others of their kind. My first pet of my own, a hamster, was this way, and i have never seen one since that was like it in the thirty years since I lost her.

Possibly there is an energy that attracts like energy which creates the sort of "luck" I have had in the pets I have had, which now includes the Chins which Mom brought home after an impulsive Craigslist inquiry. They were quite sweet, a blond and a grey, and it turned out that one of them was not a male as we had been told they both were, since one day we were quite surprised to find a couple of mini-me's in the cage with them! The fascinating thing was that the personality of the blond is indistinguishable from the parent as both are very inquisitive and bold and amicable, while the grey, although male (we're pretty sure THIS time, anyway), shares the same slightly more shy personality of his similarly colored mother as well as her affinity for running on the exercise wheel! It has taken MUCH longer to establish the trust with that one despite the exact same conditions as his brother in upbringing. I can only tell the blondes apart by the notch on one ear of the younger one now that they are grown since they act almost identically in personality.

So while nurture does matter, it would seem to matter MORE in the case where an individual is already having a genetic predisposition towards adapting to domestication in the first place, else it will not have an effect on the general nature of a creature if they are not wired genetically in the way that will allow it.

Ive had my Ike for 14 years now; she came from a local pet store, she was a gift for my boyfriend at the time, but they wouldnt allow pets of any kind in his apartment so she came home with me; she (we thought Ike was a He) turned out to be extremely lovable and friendly. I spent hours with her in the hallway letting her run all over the hall and kitchen, didnt chase her, let her hop into my lap to put her away. I worked nights and my Mom lived in the house at the time; she spent many nights sitting with Ike watching TV and giving her attention and ear scratches. To this day Ike follows my work/sleep schedule, instantly runs to the corner closes to me for attention and hops into my hands as soon as i open the door; she will follow me around the house and when i tell her to go take a batch she runs into her dust bowl in the back hall; i guess she is conditioned after all these years. She is spoiled rotten, loves craisins, dried pasta and chow mein noodles; go figure.

You can also take a nice well mannered tame animal and make it into a wild beast by not providing the right environment or care.

IMO, personality is more bred than environmental. However, survival traits are learned from bad environments and can ruin an animal and a good environmental can help change a personality slowly. It takes a dedicated home to change a cranky chin.

This is interesting and I personally think that the way a kit is reared effects it's long term personality. Our meanest female always raises the sweetest kits and it's due to the excessive care she gives them. She's not the type to ever be out of their reach, even after wean. http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/epigenetics/rats/

=P Bred and born are both ways to say genetic. But people are correct when they say a little bit of both nature (genes) and nurture. They even have studies on humans too. I think each animal is born with a base personality, for example trusting or insecure. Life experiences can either reinforce the natural personality or cause it to change. Like when a naturally friendly/trusting chin is abused it might become angry and wary towards all others. Another example would be a nervous animal that is worked with patients can learn to trust at least one person.

The most interesting study I read involved tracing a group of children from infant to 10 yrs. The findings were many but the bottom line were that about 10% of the children did a complete change over those years but almost all experienced at least minor changes. They found that children were influenced by their parents the most till 6, then peers from 6 to 10.

I would apply that to chins to say that while a chin is born with a personality intact the genes would be varried and create differences from the parents, but that the parents attitude towards humans can influence the babies personality as well as the quality of human contact it gets.

PS voxleo's post has a lot of quasi facts in it but they are all subtly or unsubtly incorrect scientifically. I don't feel like making a wallotext to point out all the fallacies.

Back