apple tree in my back yard

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angels41105

Love my furry butt kids
Is there any particular kind of apple wood that is bad for chins? I have an apple tree in my yard, no idea what species it might be but would it be ok to take branches from there to use for toys and such?

If so, what is the process for cleaning them? Just scrubbing and baking?:hmm:

And also if you're within reasonable distance of fields, since they're almost always sprayed with some sort of chemical. I had one in my backyard at my old house but couldn't use it because there was a field across the street that got treated every year.

I have 2 dwarf size apple trees in my yard, and only one chin, so I can get enough wood from pruning them back to keep Tinkerbell happy all year long. If you know the history of the tree...is it healthy, is it pesticide and chemical free...then having your own tree is a blessing. It does take a bit to prepare the wood, but it is worth it. Your chins will be very happy!

so.....what about other fruit trees. My friend has peach and pear trees in his yard. Has anyone tried those? Or do those ones have resin...?

Good rule of thumb, no citrus and no fruit trees that the fruit have pitts (cherries, peaches, plums, etc..). But I have a list of safe woods that I carry in my wallet at all times in case of questions of whats safe. :thumbsup:

wait one last question.... what about maple? that's not on the list .... I want to say it's a no go becuase of the oils in it (?)

Back